Bigger Master Cylinder - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bigger Master Cylinder
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:58 PM
I searched and couldnt find what I was looking for. so here is my Question . Does anyone know of a bigger master cylinder off another car that will bolt onto a 97 Z24 without any problem? I wanna do a rear disc brake swap off a dodge neon or something and need to know what master cylinder i can use that is bigger then ours so the brakes dont drag. Thanks

Re: Bigger Master Cylinder
Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:51 PM
Uh, bigger MC is not needed when going to rear discs.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:54 PM
You're talking about 3 different problems there. And try the search button.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 9:51 PM
C.T.S wrote:You're talking about 3 different problems there. And try the search button.

Damn..... I can only find 2...... rear disk brake swap, and draging brakes........ wheres the 3rd?

The N-body uses the same mastercylinder as the 00+ J bodies...... (at least it looks the same)..... I have one from an Alero in my garage...... it had rear disk brakes......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, April 16, 2006 5:16 AM
H body MC, but you need to add distribution blocks and a proportioning valve. As mentioned, you don't need a bigger MC if you want to swap to rear discs. The stock J MC will do just fine. Check out the Neon swap thread for the info. I know its in there.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:28 AM
Ok umm my buddy told me that there is a residual valve in the J body Master Cylinders that if u just put rear disc brakes on it without getting a Master Cylinder that has disc brakes all around that they will drag on the rear a lil bit.
Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:39 AM
your buddy is wrong. the residual valves are on the lines, underneath the car, just before the driver side wheel. read through the neon swap thread, somewhere in the middle theres a post about how to change them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:52 PM
^ Also there are some Js that don't seem to have RPV. I can't find them on mine, and you just posted that you can't find them either. I've got the N-Body IRS w/ Disks out back and mine don't drag at all.

Monday, April 17, 2006 1:47 PM
Viper98912 wrote:your buddy is wrong. the residual valves are on the lines, underneath the car, just before the driver side wheel. read through the neon swap thread, somewhere in the middle theres a post about how to change them.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong too. I think those are proportioning valves.

I believe that at least on the 00-05 cars, the residual is taken care of in the ABS unit.

Nothing really that you can do about it, but it also doesn't have much of an effect on the disc setup.

Monday, April 17, 2006 2:00 PM
well, according to josh dearman's testing, he tested the stock "things" vs some wilwood 2 psi rpv's, and he discovered that the "things" did seem to act like 10 psi rpvs. you also once said weas that your rear brakes seemed to be dusting more, this very might well be why. read up in the neon thread, he's got some good points.

Monday, April 17, 2006 2:01 PM
C.T.S wrote:^ Also there are some Js that don't seem to have RPV. I can't find them on mine, and you just posted that you can't find them either. I've got the N-Body IRS w/ Disks out back and mine don't drag at all.

and yes, in that other post, the guy doesn't have rpv's. so the confusion continues....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search