HELP! ASAP! NOISE?!!?!??! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP! ASAP! NOISE?!!?!??!
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:20 PM
Ok... I think I know what this is... but I'm gonna ask to make sure.

While driving... I hear a noise. First... imagine what wind going through a tunnel sounds like... now imagine that noise comming through a fan while running... (you know... take a regular house fan... and hum through it... that sound it makes?? imagine wind going through a tunnel... that sound pouring through a fan)... if that makes sense. It seems to get louder while going over 40-45mph, and even louder when turning to the right.

My CV boot on the passenger side is totally ripped... I'm guessing I need a new pass axel. Would this cause that noise?? or could it be something else???

And... if it is... how long would you guess I Have to get it replaced before it goes kaput?

Re: HELP! ASAP! NOISE?!!?!??!
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:28 PM
The humming very well could be friction of dirt in there, or slowly eating away at a bearing too.

Mostly watch your right turns would be my suggestion, it mostly depends on how often and how you drive, you could try to clean inside the boot and refill with axle grease and get a boot replacement, but that may not fix the problem if you can already hear it.

Try a high alcohol content cleaning product, something that will evaporate very quickly, then let dry and pack a butt load of grease in there.

The noise will get louder and louder, then it will start popping when the knuckle bearings start getting play, until ultimately disconnecting at the knuckle joint.

Did this just start tonight?
Did the boot just get ripped?
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 5:47 AM
your better off replacing the axle then trying to clean out what you have, unless you know someone who knows how to repack them. Then again you can buy an axle with a lifetime warranty from most parts stores.

-Chris

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:26 AM
I didn't find out it was ripped until 2 or 3 weeks ago, when we had to take the suspension apart and pull the axel off to drop the tranny and replace my clutch... so apparently it's been like this for a bit... slowly leaking axel grease.

Ugh I'm getting tired of replacing crap all the time lol

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:00 PM
There isn't an exact science to refilling CVBOOT grease, just cram as much in there as possible.

I imagined it has been like this for a while...
It takes a decent amount of time for dirt to get through all the thick grease, and into the CV knuckle.

But from what I have experienced with CV's (nearly 20 years of dealing with them, earliest vehicle with them that I had was my 1963 corvair), they will normally create a good amount of noise and popping before they actually fail.

But if they do fail on you, you could get more severe damage to the brake system, suspension, body work, transmission, and rim/tire damage.

Go easy on the high speed turns, and accelerate a little slower from a dead stop, those are the two stress times for CV's.

Hope this helps you out some.

IAMRASCAL, normally the CV's you buy with a lifetime replacement, are crappy and you will continue to replace them several times in your life.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:11 PM
[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]

Ugh I'm getting tired of replacing crap all the time lol

its either replacing a part when it goes bad

or

a huge car payment

either way the money going out is evil

LOL

alot of after market half shafts ive seen are actually better than the stock 1's , and that is from autozone and checker

but the cut boot is not good , and might be part of the problem

usually a humming is a wheel bearing , cv's usually click

but there might be grit in where there should be grease , which would also scar the bearing surfaces , and isnt good either

you could remove clean and repack , and see if that gets rid of the noise , boots are usually like 10-30 dollars

half shafts are usually like 80-150

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:52 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. HOPEFULLY my future brother in law will come down tomorrow (he's gonna try) and take a look at it.

Ugh... I just need a decent beater so I can pull my car off the road and do a full overhaul on it and just replace everything lol. I do like not having car payments. Yet... having something with a really nice long warranty would be nice too... ugh...

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:09 PM
u should try cleaning it, and repacking it. if the noises persist and get worse... u could very well be heading toward where im at. A broken cv, mine broke two days ago. My posts in the tranns form about replacing it

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:29 AM
Jared wrote:u should try cleaning it, and repacking it. if the noises persist and get worse... u could very well be heading toward where im at. A broken cv, mine broke two days ago. My posts in the tranns form about replacing it

So before yours went out... what was it doing???? Trying to compare to see where mine's at

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search