front suspension? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
front suspension?
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:58 PM
im confused buy what my factory parts are for the front suspension... I need to replace my struts or shocks whatever my car (2002 2.2 4dr) has. so that i can start looking for replacement parts... can some one help?

Re: front suspension?
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:03 PM
ive read the stikeys and searched... no luck

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:15 PM
a strut is the assembly that contains the spring and the shock.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:26 PM
Shock- a damping device to slow down spring oscillation

Strut- same as shock, but locates another suspension component at the same time (usually a lower control arm)

Nearly every FWD car uses a Macpherson strut front suspension, with a lower control arm on a subframe. 3rd gen J bodies use a strut type rear suspension as well, but with a twist beam axle, not control arms. I would suggest checking out howstuffworks.com or a similar site for pictures, or you can look at some of the How-Tos here and go from there.

All the different aftermarket manufacturers are in the sticky.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:48 PM
James Cahill wrote:Shock- a damping device to slow down spring oscillation

Strut- same as shock, but locates another suspension component at the same time (usually a lower control arm)

Nearly every FWD car uses a Macpherson strut front suspension, with a lower control arm on a subframe. 3rd gen J bodies use a strut type rear suspension as well, but with a twist beam axle, not control arms. I would suggest checking out howstuffworks.com or a similar site for pictures, or you can look at some of the How-Tos here and go from there.

All the different aftermarket manufacturers are in the sticky.

sorry if i sound likea n00b but does that mean i have a shock & strut?

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 9:14 PM
You have struts on all four corners. If you just want a simple factory replacement strut get KYB GR2 or Tokico HP. They're not for lowering, but are excelent replacement struts.

Heres some links:
eBay: GR2s HPs
Gravana: GR2s HPs
JBS: GR2s HPs

And there are other places too, that's just a couple...
If you have lowering springs just let me know and I'll link up a buch of other options.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:19 PM
could i buy koni yellow shoks & Eibach Sportline springs? I have 18' motegi F5's... if that matters?

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:42 PM
Yeah you can, there are quite a few people on the org with that settup, sportlines have a nice drop IMO too

Under Construction, should be finished before years over...
Corey
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:13 PM
The Koni yellows are catridge type replacements, meaning you have to cut apart the old strut and install the new cartridge, whereas a direct replacement strut doesn't require any cutting, it just bolts right in. Just judging from your questions (not trying to sound like a dick here, but I don't think you're knowledgeable enough about suspensions to do it yourself), I don't think that would be your best route, unless you pay someone to have it done (or you really want to learn about it). Its not an unbolt and bolt in job.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 7:58 PM
Sportslines with Tokico D-Specs would be a good choice too. Many people are getting D-Specs lately and it seems all have been very satisfied.
Links again:
eBay: D-Specs Sportslines
Gravana: D-Specs Sportslines
JBS: D-Specs

Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:09 AM
James Cahill wrote:The Koni yellows are catridge type replacements, meaning you have to cut apart the old strut and install the new cartridge, whereas a direct replacement strut doesn't require any cutting, it just bolts right in. Just judging from your questions (not trying to sound like a dick here, but I don't think you're knowledgeable enough about suspensions to do it yourself), I don't think that would be your best route, unless you pay someone to have it done (or you really want to learn about it). Its not an unbolt and bolt in job.

right but its only for the fronts. the rear are a direct replacement. honestly i agree w/ james that you probably dont sound like you would be able to install the konis but w/ a little walk through you would be able it. its really easy and not nearly has hard as people think. you just have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the strut to release the pressure, then cut right above the knuckle (the part that has the flange welded to the strut) cut right above that weld and then just empty out the inside of the strut. then you simply just slide the koni in. its really easy

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search