KYB GR2's and Number 1 Coils - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
KYB GR2's and Number 1 Coils
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:33 PM
ok, I'm asking a basic question but expect some flames also. Does anyone have any experience with Number 1 Coilovers? I've heard that they are pretty good, just not a name brand. I have a local shop that can get me a pretty good deal with this setup. Opinions, Suggestions, etc????? Also what would be a reasonable price to install?? Thanks

Re: KYB GR2's and Number 1 Coils
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:39 PM
GR2s are stock replacements and aren't meant for lowering, or so i've read. i've never heard of "number 1" coilovers so i can't tell you if they're quality or not. if i were you, i'd just save up for the prokit and some agx's

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:41 PM
Considering the GR2 is an OEM replacement strut, doubt just about any coil over would work. I havent heard anything thrilling in general about #1, and wouldnt personally buy any of their products.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 4:03 PM
those coil over on other car i have seen have not had good reviews. if search this forum you will realize that GR2's are not for lowering period.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 4:22 PM
I searched on the FAQ, and saw the stuff about KYB. But I figured on asking about number 1 coils anyways. Would Ground Control be a better option? What would go best with those? Also, how much would be a fair price to install a coilover setup??

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:13 PM
no dude you dont get it.

GRS'2 ARE OEM REPLACEMENT AND YOU WILL BLOW THEM SOON IF YOU DO.

so the cost to get gr2's and some coils installed on your car would cost as much as getting them put on plus buying new struts a few months later.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 7:35 PM
if you want coilovers, then you want Koni Yellows or Tokico D-specs for struts, THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS!

Ill make a sig someday
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 7:50 PM
05cavalier07 wrote:no dude you dont get it.

GRS'2 ARE OEM REPLACEMENT AND YOU WILL BLOW THEM SOON IF YOU DO.
so the cost to get gr2's and some coils installed on your car would cost as much as getting them put on plus buying new struts a few months later.

Yeah I know that now, I was asking about Ground Controls and which ones would work the best.

rhodaz24 wrote:if you want coilovers, then you want Koni Yellows or Tokico D-specs for struts, THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS!

Thank You, have any idea whos got the best deals going on right now for these??
Also, what would be a good install price? $100? $150?

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 9:01 PM
GCs are a good choise. You might want to think about other packages too (Tein, Gravana, etc). GCs work excelently on Konis and D-Specs.

If you get GCs and Konis you'll be hard pressed to find a shop that will do it for less than $200. Most shops will have very little or no experience with Konis and not really know how to install them.

Where do you live? Post in your region and see if someone is willing to help you. Many people are. If you live near West Michigan I'll help you out, only cost you a fifth (Jack or Smirnoff).

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:14 AM
http://www.jbodysource.com/
best price for koni's (that i know of)
ground controls from Gravana. ive heard theyre some of the best coilovers for our cars.
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applications/1997_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Coupe_2.4.aspx

other than that search the internet for cheaper stuff... there are quite a few places out there, its basically up to you to decide who you trust the most.. good luck dude!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:43 PM
You might be able to do the install yourself... http://www.bradiscool.com

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:17 AM
#1's are made by nopi there nopi's brand there good i have alot of #1 parts on my car i know a guy who has them on his j-body never had a problem with his but go to www.nopi.com there cheaper on there a $138. for the kit
Friday, April 14, 2006 7:27 AM
$138 for coilovers

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:34 AM
for the sleeves and springs whats wrong with that?
Friday, April 14, 2006 7:42 AM
$138 for sleeves and springs?

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:45 AM
i just looked into them and it doesnt look like they come w/ any type of bearings or top hats for these coils. also i wouldnt be suprised if the spring rate is high on them.

Friday, April 14, 2006 10:28 AM
yeah, the spring rate seemed kinda high when the guy was talking to me about them. Can't remember the number exact, must have been 4 or 500. I want to be lowered this summer soon. I have about 3 or 4 future mods that I want to start on, but not until the car is lowered.

I at least want to get rid of the wheel gap, but being able to adjust it according to the seasons would be nice (daily driver). I also want something that could be done at a shop relatively cheap (<200) or could be done by myself or local org members. I'm a newbie when it comes to suspension, so everyones help is really appreciated.
Budget is negotiable, just looking for quality that I really don't have to tinker with a lot once its on.

Friday, April 14, 2006 11:32 AM
Low price and quality don't belong in the same sentence.

Friday, April 14, 2006 1:55 PM
Jason (The Kings Jester) wrote:Low price and quality don't belong in the same sentence.

I never said anything about low price. I want a quality setup that would be good for a daily driver that could be installed at a shop or by myself.

Friday, April 14, 2006 2:50 PM
if your looking for a quality coilover setup. be prepared to spend about 800 bucks or more

Friday, April 14, 2006 10:03 PM
^^ Thats not a problem. I just made this thread to ask about the brands, and now I have cancelled them out. What coilover setup would provide the smoothest ride? ( all I want is looks and ride quality, not handling, etc..)

Saturday, April 15, 2006 4:19 AM
Stick with stock if you're looking for the best ride comfort. It's sloppy, but is best for comfort. With any spring, even at stock height, it will feel stiff.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:56 AM
everyone says that my pro-kit on Konis feels like stock, except it gets real aggressive in the turns.

just my to cents from what i have read over the last few years...

if height adjustability is something you wanna play with go with the Ground Controls and either Koni or D-Spec. ask Wild Weasel about getting them with a longer spring. I remember him have a really good reason for it, but it isn't coming to me right now.

if you not worried about being able to adjust your ride height, then go with a quality set up. I like my Koni Yellows and Pro-kit combo. I figured if I ever changed my mind and wanted coils or a lower spring I wouldn't have to reinvest in new dampers, so i got the best that was available at the time.

lots of people have had really good luck with the KYB AGX and pro kit, H&R springs( if you want to be lower than about 1-1.5 inches then the AGX's are not an option for you)

Tein d-specs are something to consider as well, the install is a little easier, but really the Konis are not that hard, just a little time consuming.I think with the D-Spec's you can lower to any reasonable height and be ok, just like with Koni.

just remember its your car you have to live with it. if you want an opinion on how a set up is, PM a member that has what your considering. one of the deciding factors for me was when another member (Viper) gave me a ride in his car lowered on Koni. now there are more options and more combinations out there.

All of this has been said before but " if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" take your time do it right the first time around.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:09 PM
Cinny wrote:Tein d-specs are something to consider as well, the install is a little easier, but really the Konis are not that hard, just a little time consuming.I think with the D-Spec's you can lower to any reasonable height and be ok, just like with Koni.

You lost me at Tein D-Specs. I'm guessing you meant Tokiko. And in that case I'll agree with you because D-Specs are worth every penny. The only thing that really gets me now is that with what I ended up spending on my lowering springs (Sprint) and the D-Specs, I could have saved an extra $50 or so and had a Tein Basic setup. I like my suspension as it is, don't get me wrong, but I've wanted to kick myself in the nuts a few times because I've used Tein before and was never disappointed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search