New suspension ideas - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New suspension ideas
Sunday, April 09, 2006 8:59 PM
Hey all. After maikng a little money this summer and getting things paid off, I might be getting a set of AGX struts. I am looking at three spring alternatives none of which was the ever popular Eibach Pro-Kit. The springs that I am looking at are:

Tein S Tech
H&R Sport
Skunk2
What are the pitfalls of each spring? I like the Teins S Tech and I am leaning towards them. All of these seem to fit the profile of the drop pretty well and i'm sure they wouldn't be too much for the AGX to handle. The FAQ said that the Skunk2 was bouncy, but I was wondering if I could get a user opinion on the spring.

Thanks in advance

I'll have a sig someday..............

Re: New suspension ideas
Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:03 PM
Pitfalls: They'll blow AGXs. Voids the warranty instantly. Blowing will be a matter of weeks to a few months.

Skunk2 aren't "bouncy", it's a spring (springs bounce, but the strut should control it). The FAQ needs re-writing...... Another project I'm working on. But the spring rate is way high. Good for racing (like grand prix or bonneville style; could be good for AX and Drag too).

The S-Techs and the H&Rs are both good springs.
Get Konis or D-Specs with any of those springs and you should be set.

Monday, April 10, 2006 12:46 AM
How would AGX blow with the Tein or H&R? I've heard of people using these with great success. From the manufacturer websites, it seems like spring rates for each are fairly low. THe Skunk2 springs are high rate springs, which has turned me off to them. However, people use the pro-kit on the AGX and its rates are nearly the same with the H&R, Tein, and Eibach. It seems that anyone of those springs would work.

Monday, April 10, 2006 3:55 AM
both of those springs drop more than 1.5". agx will probably only hold a 1.5" drop which is what they are warrentied for. to buy them and put springs on that will lower the car past 1.5" is just stupid

Monday, April 10, 2006 8:36 AM
"Nearly the same" does NOT mean "the same".

Try explaining to the nice officer that you are nearly sober. See how far that one flies.

Monday, April 10, 2006 6:01 PM
so CTS what youre saying is that any spring other than the eibach kit will blow agx's??
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:05 PM
Any spring that lowers more then 1.5 inch will void warranty and isn't recommended.

There is no cut and dry answer to all of these questions, just the most logical answers...

If a spring made by Pedro (for instance) is designed to lower the car 2 inches in the rear and 2 inches in the front, will it cause the AGX's to blow the odds are that it will (the AGX's aren't designed to ride at that compression rate internally for that long, at that ride height the strut will want to push upward back to the stock height, hence the reason they would blow a seal, over compression), but it is not in stone, it may last for quite some time or your struts might leak after the first large range of travel.

If you are dead set on getting AGX, I recommend getting either TEIN springs:

HTECH which lower a little over an inch in the front and a little under an inch in the rear

STECH which lower 1.7 in the front and 1.5 in the rear

If you ask me the tolerance of the AGX will handle the whopping 2 tenths of an inch over what they warranty, and I would be willing to bet money they would repair/replace struts that blow on that set up.

Suspension is like a woman: if you pick out the right one, you will be happy to spend the money on her, with great results.
If you choose to go the cheaper route, you take the chance of getting a horrible ride with the possibility of something falling off down the road, or leakage!!!
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:20 PM
LOL, I sure wish I read what I typed before I posted it... my analogy was a little off on why struts blow, it was close but off in theory.

Anyway I tried

Maybe I should start poking smot then I would have an excuse
Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:23 PM
How about the D-Specs from Tokico? Would these handle the sportline springs? I might just keep with a drop as low as my dropzones right now and the sportline would be good for that. Goldline is as much as the sportline now, so no savings in money there. Anyway, does that sound like a matchable combo?

Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:03 PM
You could keep the DZs and put them on D-Specs. It would still be harsh, but you wouldn't bounce. Also the DZs will inevitably sag.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:47 PM
Thats probably what will happen. I like the springs so far and love the drop. Overall, I'm happy with them. The shocks and struts are holding up well, but I think I will be getting a set of D-Specs over the summer along with some new tires.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search