99 and below strut mount conversion - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 99 and below strut mount conversion
Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:09 AM
I forgot to mentioned that PartsAmerica will loan you the spring compressor tood for free. You just have to put down a refundable deposit.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:08 PM
Anyone know the part number for rear Strut mounts?

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:31 AM
When I stopped at the GM dealer today and asked them about the spring seats, they asked if I needed the insulator also. Will the original insulator from the 2001 cavalier work on the older style 95-99 spring seat? Yes, I am converting a 2001 cavalier mounts to the older style.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:37 AM
I was told yes, that the 00+ insulator's will work with the older mounts. I hope that is true!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 1:00 PM
Insulators are the same on all the springs from 82 to 05 IIRC.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:10 PM
Is the Spring Seat the piece that goes on top of the Coil spring first then the strut

mount kit on top??

What exactlty is the spring seat??
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:46 PM
funny, i have a 99, and because of napas part system, they gave me two 00+ mounts, i dont see why everyone wants the other ones more? i dont see an advantage either way. Ive heard its because its impossible to get 2 wrenches on the nut and strut, but it doesn't make a difference when using an impact gun

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 8:12 PM
Nelson, the insulator sits directly on top of the spring, then the spring seat, then the bearing, and then the mount.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 8:43 PM
Strut, Bottom Insulator, Spring, Top Insulator, Spring Seat, Bearing, Bearing Plate.

The 00+ mounts are one piece. So if the bearing goes you have to replace the whole thing. On the 99- it's a $18 bearing. Also the whole mount (plate & beaing for 99-, whole thing for 00+) costs about $20 for the newer style.

SO:
Older Style: Lasts just a long a newer style. Rebuildable bearing. Cheaper.
Newer Style: Lasts just as long. Not rebuildable bearing. More expensive.
Which would you rather have?

Sunday, May 28, 2006 3:12 PM
I got some agx's so i need to get the strut mounts spring seats and washers, if i am just puttin on springs do i need to get the mount kits

"sometimes the respect is more important..."
Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:02 PM
With new AGXs you need the washers/spacers (for 00-05 only). Otherwise they go on 95-99 just without changes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search