Bad brakes adjusted, now worse - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad brakes adjusted, now worse
Monday, April 03, 2006 6:26 AM
I could feel my rear brakes not really working all that well for the past few months, squeaking and rumbling and not quite holding well. Also, they seem to not release when im on a hill and i let off the brake, like i don't coast, i have to hit the gas in order to move. It happens everywhere and at all times of day/night. So i had my mechanic adjust them when i got my summer rims put back on this weekend and now it feels like im losing brake line pressure. There's also alot of play in the pedal where there wasn't before and my e-brake doesnt hold as well. I had the rear shoes resurfaced back in september when i got new rotors and pads upfront and everything else in the back looks fine as well as the brake lines. What could this be?

Re: Bad brakes adjusted, now worse
Monday, April 03, 2006 8:47 AM
2 things.

1) Did you replace the hardware in the rear brake system?

I had the same problem when i did mine, and i want to aid auto stores, and bought the hardware kit, which replaces every spring, pin and clip.

2) If you feel like your losing brake line pressure, i would bleed the brakes, OR do a full job and purge all the old fluid out for a full system New fluid replacement.

Monday, April 03, 2006 8:49 AM
Oh BTW, in the pic above, the sets are made for muliple cars, so sometimes you get extra pieces. The black springs are not used at all.

Monday, April 03, 2006 8:51 AM
I would check the master cylinder after bleeding the brakes.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 4:35 AM
Well basically we replaced nothing. My rear wheels, when on the lift, would spin and spin with no impedence by the brakes. So we took off the drums and used the adjuster at the bottom between the shoes until the hub would no longer spin very far, like a 1/4 turn. My gut feeling is to replace the shoes and drums and possibly the lines. Any thoughts?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search