do i have everything for install? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
do i have everything for install?
Saturday, April 01, 2006 6:45 PM
hey all

ok, i have dspecs, 1.7" all around springs, and all new front and rear mounts. is there ANYTHING else i need to make a complete clean switch? like i can simply remove the entire stock strut/spring/mount without having to keep any stock stuff and then install all my new aftermarket stuff . ( im new with suspension )

im debating on if i should get a shop to do this or not... also what is this bump stop that seems to get debated about being trimmed..?

thx to all that reply

Re: do i have everything for install?
Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:42 PM
You would be missing the spring isolators. You can find those at the dealer.

I'm assuming you have struts to go with the springs (even though you didn't mention that).

Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:55 PM
i did so , i said dspecs

thx for the quick response, what exactly do spring isolators do and what should i expect to pay for these. or if i have a shop do the install, should i just have them switch over the stock ones or is this something i should replace while im at it now....

Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:21 AM
My bad, somehow I missed that part.

The isolators are something that you should replace. I think they are like $10. They are just a piece of rubber that seperates the strut from the spring so that it doesn't make noise.

If you have all the stuff, I don't see why you would want a shop to do the work. You shouldn't need a spring compressor.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 10:08 AM
so i need 4 of them and they are what the springs sit on on the struts?. are there ones for the top part that meets the mount?

im only considering a shop because i have never done suspension work before....

and also if u could comment on the "trim the bump stop thing" because i dont know where/what it is, and if i should trim it.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 1:02 PM
Brian Lindsay wrote:so i need 4 of them and they are what the springs sit on on the struts?. are there ones for the top part that meets the mount?

Yes, you will need 4 of them (my memory is a little fuzzy about the rear... those may not have isolators, in which case, you would only need 2). They go on the bottom of the spring.

I forgot about the dust boots. You will need to transfer those over from your factory stuff. The bump stops sit up inside of your dust boot. Just reach up there and yank them out. The dust boot is shaped like a snowman and you just want to cut the head (smallest section) off.

You can buy new dust boots with bump stops, but they don't generally need replacing.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 1:25 PM
i just put my summer tires back on my car a 98 and didnt see the spring isolators on the rear but seen them in the front, also if your at the dealer they will have exploded views of the complete assembly.

note the d specs do not have the boots to cover them and the stock struts have them on so think about taking them off the stock ones which means the spring compressors.

i have the same stuff as you and was going to do it this weekend but it rained.
Sunday, April 02, 2006 1:31 PM
dust boots are pretty cheap, canadian tire only showed dust boots for the front..., would i just get 4 front ones?, and the isolators i will check at a dealership during this week, thx

Sunday, April 02, 2006 2:01 PM
if you're not sure how do it, let a shop. i know locally most shops wont do it unless really slow....a connection at nissan is doing mine, 100 installed and balanced

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search