Popping/Creaking - Aftermarket Control Arm Bushin? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Popping/Creaking - Aftermarket Control Arm Bushin?
Friday, March 31, 2006 8:12 AM
I've been noticing a lot of creaking and popping after I installed my stiffer control arm bushings. Generally, the pop/creak happens from a stop, or around a turn that has a bump in it.

The control arms/bushings seem to be fine, don't move up/down, wondering if its a "normal" noise for the aftermarket stiffer bushings.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Re: Popping/Creaking - Aftermarket Control Arm Bus
Friday, March 31, 2006 8:48 AM
Didnt notice anything with mine.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, March 31, 2006 9:23 AM
don't have mine installed yet, but i can keep ya updated

Friday, March 31, 2006 9:39 AM
Did you take a look at the control arms after the bushings were installed on them? Sometimes when you try and install the bushings they get ripped because either people rush the job or dont do it correctly.... could it be that maybe your bushing has gotten ripped and its moving around now?

Friday, March 31, 2006 9:50 AM
get in their and make sure everything is tight. Did you install them yourself or have a show do it.

first thing I'd check is the bottom strut bolts. Something is most likely loose.

-Chris

Friday, March 31, 2006 9:52 AM
IamRascal wrote:get in their and make sure everything is tight. Did you install them yourself or have a show do it.

first thing I'd check is the bottom strut bolts. Something is most likely loose.

A show???

A Shop... lol

Friday, March 31, 2006 10:41 AM
I installed them myself, well, with the help of Karo via phone too.

Would this popping sound be caused by a messed up ball joint? ripped boot, etc?

Friday, March 31, 2006 11:45 AM
doesnt Karo have a sexy voice?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, March 31, 2006 1:11 PM
Lurch wrote:I've been noticing a lot of creaking and popping after I installed my stiffer control arm bushings. Generally, the pop/creak happens from a stop, or around a turn that has a bump in it.

The control arms/bushings seem to be fine, don't move up/down, wondering if its a "normal" noise for the aftermarket stiffer bushings.

I just fixed that pronlem on my car, turned out to be the strut mounts.

Friday, March 31, 2006 1:44 PM
I have the same popping noise, kind of sounds like something is hitting the spokes of the rim? I thought it may have been my lower motor mount maybe but its the solid one so i dont know, keep me updated as well. I get a pop at bout 5 or so mph.

Friday, March 31, 2006 8:52 PM
El Fuego ( the grounded one ) wrote:
Lurch wrote:I've been noticing a lot of creaking and popping after I installed my stiffer control arm bushings. Generally, the pop/creak happens from a stop, or around a turn that has a bump in it.

I just fixed that pronlem on my car, turned out to be the strut mounts.

So what did you do just replace your mounts?

Saturday, April 01, 2006 7:05 AM
popping while turning, (on a J-body) is likely the upper strut mounts, (2000+ they didn't even use BB, which is debatebly better).

if some is popping that didn't before it is possible it was a fluke and your upper mounts went shot, but higly unlikely. sounds like the main bolts that hold your bushings in are loose. Did you torque them or just make them "snug"?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, April 01, 2006 7:19 AM
I replaced mine with KYB upper mounts when I installed my new D-spec suspension and it still makes the sounds you are referring to. There may be nothing we can do about it.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"
Sunday, April 02, 2006 3:11 PM
the problem could be that you didnt put enough grease all over the bushings because polyurethane usually will do that if there not greased enough so try that to see if that s the problem.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:25 AM
Is there a specific grease I need to put on the bushings?

Also, after trying (couldn't find a jack) to inspect the undercarriage, the boot on the balljoints are tore, all the bolts look fine, and I have really bad wear on the inside of my tires, not so much the outside.

Any additional thoughts?

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:46 AM
Did you have an alignment done after reinstall the control arms?
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:04 AM
the grease that comes in that little packet that should come with the bushings but you can buy it at autozone or where ever.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 8:59 PM
jdm cav9 wrote:the problem could be that you didnt put enough grease all over the bushings because polyurethane usually will do that if there not greased enough so try that to see if that s the problem.

Bingo. Poly squeaks/creaks if you don't coat it in good lithium based grease. High temp stuff usually works the best in my experience, I ususally use lithium axle grease.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:27 AM
I'm going to be installing some used sway bars, can you buy this grease from a local auto store? what is it called?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:37 AM
it's called lithium grease, and you can also get it in a spray can(works better in a paste). I used the spray on the door jams in my old bonneville when they squeaked.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search