rotors/pads/doityourself - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rotors/pads/doityourself
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:10 AM
Ok,
So I told myself after the last time I took my car to Brake Masters. or one of those that I would not go again, mostly because a buddy of mine no longer works there; and I don't trust anyone else in all honesty.

I want to attempt to do my brakes on my own and first off I was wondering is it THAT hard to do, how long does it take, etc?

Secondly, there are lots of drilled slotted rotors out there, what EXACTLY do they do better than OEM other than cool and drain water better in wet conditions? And what are good ones to buy. And, what are a good brand of brake pads; I want something that will last for more than 6 months.

Thanks,
Chris Osborn

Re: rotors/pads/doityourself
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:14 AM
Ok, I read the Brake FAQ, so the answer to my question-- I'm NOT doing any high end racing, so just the slotted rotors would work ok for me? Or should I just buy decent plain ol' rotors?

C.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:49 AM
If you are Average Joe Driver, just stick with OEM style rotors. Nothing "wrong" with them. If the rotors on your car aren't bad, then don't replace them (unless you really want to). They ususally last a good long time.

As for pads: If you want performance pads, try Hawk, they have a good rep around here.
If you want plain jane pads, get the cheapest Ceramic Pads from any local place (Autozone, Napa, CarQuest, etc). They'll last a long time, put out less dust, and the dust is a lighter color.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:59 AM
changing your pads and rotors is simple

1) break lugs loose on wheels
2) jack car up
3) remove tire
4) loosen (2) 3/8" allen key bolts behind each caliper
5) remove caliper
6) keep old pads on still and compress the caliper so the new pads will fit back over the rotor
7) remove old pads and replace with new pads
8) pull on rotors to remove (they may be stuck so a few taps w/ a rubber mallot will loosen it up
9) stick on new rotor and put caliper back in place
10) tighten 3/8" allen key bolts (you might notice a little play in the rotor but thats fine since you didnt pump the brakes yet)
11) put tire back on and tighten lugs
12) lower the car and tighten lugs all the way
13) pump the brakes to get pressure back in them (most important step because if you dont when you go to use the brakes you probably wont stop)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:48 PM
BaggedCav98 wrote:1) break lugs loose on wheels
Using the word "break", when you mean loosen, on a newbie might not be the best idea.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:45 PM
If you would like Baer cross drilled/slotted rotors, and HAWK pads we just got done with a group purchase and we have a few sets left we can let go at the GP prices. Email us if interested.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:38 PM
theres a how to on my website

www.eazyent.com

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:40 PM
please, save yourself the money and do it yourself...brake jobs on a j body are so simple, theyre almost fun...well ok, the work isn't fun, but the drinking involved is

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:25 PM
Agreed... even without the proper tools, a rotor/pad swap only took me 30 minutes for both sides combined.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:47 AM
Ok,
Thats what I am starting to realize, is that it won't take long at all...

Now one more quesiton, am I REQUIRED to change the brake fluid out when I change pads/rotors?

Thanks,
Chris
Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:51 AM
no.

also if you dont remove the brake lines then there is no need to bleed the brakes.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:51 AM
holy crap, that is WAY easy to change pads and rotors. I had no idea.

is changing out shoes/drums as easy?

thanks,
c.
Friday, March 31, 2006 10:11 PM
^^ no. well for me i had to get my dad to help because of stuff inside it i couldnt' figure out how to put it back on, but he should me a couple of more times i prolby can remember.

Plus i am planning on getting baer upgrade all around before i need to do it again.

Saturday, April 01, 2006 7:10 AM
Quote:

2) jack car up
3) remove tire

2.5) make sure to use jackstands.... safety first

while you are down there, if you know how to bleed brakes run through a cycle or two, brake fluid is very hydrostatic, and getting the bottom little bit of fluid out usually makes a noticable difference.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search