Need some advice - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some advice
Monday, March 27, 2006 12:30 PM
First of all I live in Indiana and drive a lot of back roads and we have a lot of poorly maintained roads and rail road tracks. I would like an air ride type suspension that is adjustable from inside the cabin. Are there any that you can drive at near stock height that aren't maxed out? I don't want that overly riggid suspension feeling when I have to drive around town but would still like to have the car lowered when parked and on better roads without manualy adjusting things outside the car.

Anyone have any suggestions?

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Re: Need some advice
Monday, March 27, 2006 12:55 PM
well pretty much all air suspensions are adjusted in the car since thats where the switches are. bags dont go as high as cylinders do. as far as i know the art kit get to stock height when fully raised and the easystreet kit gets to stock height in the front and about 1/2" lower than stock in the rear when fully raised. note though that when its fully raised, its very very stiff so the slightest bump will have you bouncing

as for cylinders they usually go above stock height and im not sure by how much. cylinders need accumulators though so it wont be so bouncy. im not really a big fan of cylinders. the benifits of cylinders though are that they go higher than stock, if they break they can be rebuilt and its easier to dog leg on cylinders

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:01 PM
hmm, I don't think I've ever seen a hydraulic kit for a cavy, anyone make an out of the box kit?

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:04 PM
there was a few on here that had hydrolics on their cavs. not really good for a unibody car, unless your not hopping. then you just have to watch for a leak which could cause oil every where

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:14 PM
I don't plan to make it bounce or anything, I just want to be able to drop the car without having it feel like crap in town and over tracks when I have to have it up. It wouldn't be so bad if I just had to put it up some times, but I live by the tracks and they are all jacked up, I'd have to have it fairly high just to drive the car anywhere. I'd hate to put 10-15k in the car and have a big gap around the wheels.

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:30 PM
The only problem I can see is with the alignment. You'll probably want to have the car aligned at the height you'll ride at most of the time. Then program the psi into the controls for the bags so you have it set the same every time. I thjink you can prograqm different ride heights now a days. It used to be you had to just know what psi you needed and set it yourself.

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:36 PM
yea with the pilot control you can but if you have regular switches then you have to set it to the ride height you normally ride at and get it aligned. the alignment wont be perfect after you drop it the first time cuz its almost imposible to get it back to the right spot without a digtal setup but it wont make that much of a difference

Monday, March 27, 2006 6:05 PM
I plan on doing the digital if I go with the air ride, I was thinking about welding some rails under the car so I can put it all the way down when I want to and have it sit on the ground without trashing my body kit. I'm going to drive around some and see how much clearance I get where I would normaly drive.

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Monday, March 27, 2006 6:18 PM
Well, if it gives an idea, I just put a set of Sprint springs on. The total drop was about 2.25 inches (1.8" my ass!), and now the U-bolt hangers for my exhaust have to be trimmed or inverted because the excess threads scrape the ground when I go in and out of my driveway, and speed bumps have become my enemy.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:16 AM
that..... sucks... hmmmm I might just have to go with something that can just drop for shows. seems like 2" wouldn't put it down that far.

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:39 AM
go airride, i went with ground controls for shows droping it when i got there, and i got around 300 miles out of them before i sold them. if u want the ability to drop it for shows but keep it high for driving, go with the air i think its your best option.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search