Coils vs. Springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coils vs. Springs
Monday, March 27, 2006 6:38 AM
I'm looking to give my car a moderate drop, 1"-1.5" and I was looking into an AGX/Pro-Kit setup, or even the Koni Sport package. But for only a few hundred more I could get coliovers. So my question is, if I am not show-slamming this car is it still an advantage to have coils over springs (i.e. for ride comfort, better handeling, etc).

Oh, and while I'm at it, I haven't heard much on here about the Koni package.. does anyone have it and how does it compare to other spring/strut setups?

Re: Coils vs. Springs
Monday, March 27, 2006 6:46 AM
its up to you. both will handle better than stock. the advantage w/ coils is your able to raise or lower the car more or less if you want to

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:02 AM
Springs may be more practical for you if you plan not to adjust. Als, most of teh springs a progessive which will be good for daily driving. Most coil overs tend to be linear.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Monday, March 27, 2006 12:18 PM
Coilovers also give you the option of choosing whatever spring rate you want. That's why I have them. I ride at a similar height to what the Prokit springs give but with a much higher spring rate.

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:25 PM
I have Eibach Pro kits with KYB AGX's and I like my setup a lot, nice mild drop and ride, also the handling is great, but like posted above if you want adjustability then I'd go with coilovers.
Monday, March 27, 2006 1:30 PM
I just put Sprint lowering springs and D-Specs on yesterday. Everyone said it'd be a brutal ride but honestly, it's not that bad. Handling is tight, ride is firm but my kidneys don't seem to mind. The D-Specs help quite a bit. Sprint says they're a 1.8" drop all around, I'd say they're a tad over 2". I can only fit two fingers between the tire and wheel well up front and three fingers in back. Looks mean as hell too.

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:06 PM
I just checked my ride height again and the whole car has leveled out front and rear so there's maybe about an inch and a quarter wheel gap front and back.

Monday, March 27, 2006 6:14 PM
coils=springs. In fact, even a Macpherson strut setup can be considered a "coil-over".

Monday, March 27, 2006 6:21 PM
James Cahill wrote: coils=springs. In fact, even a Macpherson strut setup can be considered a "coil-over".

I do believe the question is meant to be adjustable coilovers or lowering springs. Just my thought. I could be wrong but it seemed obvious.

Monday, March 27, 2006 8:16 PM
ln2johnny wrote:
James Cahill wrote: coils=springs. In fact, even a Macpherson strut setup can be considered a "coil-over".

I do believe the question is meant to be adjustable coilovers or lowering springs. Just my thought. I could be wrong but it seemed obvious.

It is and I was.

When you change your ride height do you have to get it realigned? THe only time I see myself changing the height is when winter comes (Toronto, ON). Even with a pro-kit drop I can clear the snow and get give the car better suspension.

As for the spring rate, how is that different than adjusting the dampening on the struts themselves (i.e. stiffer or softer settings). Noob question, I know.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:28 AM
I'm in Toronto. If you need them installed, drop me a note. I'll do it for less than a shop will and probably do better work.

The only time I adjust my ride height is at the track. You don't buy coilovers to ride around with a 3" drop looking all pimp. That's what air ride is for. Anyone cheaping out and trying to do it with coilovers is only causing themselves problems.

Honestly, if you don't have a pressing need for an even stiffer setup, I think you'll probably be quite happy with KYB AGX struts and Eibach Prokit springs. It's a very nice combination.

And no, you don't need an alignment when you adjust the height of coilovers.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 11:09 AM
Fink wrote:Oh, and while I'm at it, I haven't heard much on here about the Koni package.. does anyone have it and how does it compare to other spring/strut setups?

While I don't know necessarily how it compares to anything else, I am currently using the Koni Sport Kit package, and I like it a lot.

It lowers the car about 1.8" or so (makes the front control arms level w/ the ground). The back end just looks mean

The spring rates are aggressive, but not so much so that you're rattling your teeth out on typical roads. (Firm ride, not harsh). Plus you get the adjustability, warranty and quality of Koni yellow struts. By adjusting the struts you can make the ride very stiff, but if you leave the struts on their softest setting, it's actually a lot of fun for daily driving, without being punishing.

If you finish that package off with a nice set of sway bars (Addco 1" for me, both ends), strut tower braces and poly bushings, you should have a really nice setup

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:10 PM
squisher00z24 wrote:While I don't know necessarily how it compares to anything else, I am currently using the Koni Sport Kit package, and I like it a lot.

It lowers the car about 1.8" or so (makes the front control arms level w/ the ground). The back end just looks mean

Thats the one, thanks. I couldn't find the drop rate but I remember it being more than the pro-kit but higher than the sportlines. So does it even the car out or does it still have a slight rake?
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:17 PM
Wild Weasel thanks for the offer. I've got a bunch of friends who can help (none of which have worked extensively on domestics) and a potential garage. If I can't make use of the garage I might take you up on that.

Actually, my buddies are the reason I asked about coilovers in the first place. A friend told me that I should get coils over springs because he's ridden in both and he said the ride quality is better in the cars with coilovers. If you guys are arguing otherwise I might as well save the extra few hundred and spend it elsewhere (i.e. motor mounts, sway bars, etc).
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:38 AM
I generally define "ride quality" as a comfort measurement. You'll definitely get a more comfortable ride with springs rather than coilovers.

You'll get better handling with stiffer springs, which you'll get with coilovers, but at the expense of comfort.

Friday, March 31, 2006 7:41 PM
Prokit+AGX's=car outhandles me. my car mixed with the antiroll kit, strut bars, control arm bushings, and BFG Traction TA's handles like a dream. I cant get the car to turn too hard, i get mild oversteer at higher speeds around hard corners, but otherwise very neutral, car hugs the road, and throws me around.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search