Really soft pedal after rear disc install - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Really soft pedal after rear disc install
Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:35 PM
After putting the rear disc conversion on, my pedal goes right to the floor. I bled the brakes all the way around and there is no leak, but I still have a really soft pedal. What could be the problem? Any help will great Thanks, Josh

Re: Really soft pedal after rear disc install
Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:54 PM
it takes more fluid movment to make calipers work than brake cylenders... that would contribute alittle...

i would work at bleeding the system alittle more, start from the rear right side, then move to the rear left, then the front right then the front left...

Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:30 PM
still more air in the system. Same thing happened to my car when i put rear discs on it, bled the brakesm but stilla soft pedal. Just remember to pump the brakes slowly three or four times, hold the pedal down, and have someone loosen the bleeder screw for you, then close it when fluid comes out with no air bubbles.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:32 PM
Which rear disc setup did you get?

Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:46 PM
The Baer rear disc setup, It was on my other car I bought, I still have to swap out the front big brake package over.

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:49 AM
Then you know from your last car that this isn't normal. The pedal shouldn't sink to the floor.

If there's no leak, then there must still be air in the system. Did you ensure that the reservoir never went too low during your bleeding?

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:05 AM
Yea, I filled up the reservoir 2 times and bled the brakes i dont see any air bubbles coming down the tube, But I must have some somewhere, i am going to have to wait now until all of the snow is gone, because I am not taking my car out in this crap.(I HATE SNOW!!!)

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:55 AM
I'm supremely jealous. We've had no snow all winter. I spent a small fortune on winter tires for the first time this year and have driven in the snow TWICE with them.

Monday, March 13, 2006 11:06 AM
Did you bleed the ABS unit? It has two bleeder screws on the top of it.

Monday, March 13, 2006 12:54 PM
how was the pedal before you did the brakes ? if it was questionable before then the master cyl might be on its way out

i know when i did mine there was alot of air in the lines , and took me about hour to bleed them , also you should redo the fronts also

and make sure the master cyl res never gets empty , or youll have to start over again

and make sure when you step on the brake pedal that the rear brakes will hold

Monday, March 13, 2006 4:06 PM
Do you have ABS? (it's an 03, it's optional)

Do the brakes work at all? Or does the pedal go all the way to the floor, without even slowing the car down?

If not... definitely either air still in the system, or a leak somewhere.

Monday, March 13, 2006 4:55 PM
Yea, I have abs, The pedal goes to the floor for the first couple pumps and then it seems to harden up a little bit, but then it seems like it looses pressure and goes to the floor again. I am going to the front brake kit on and recheck everything this weekend, thats if the snow if off the streets, if not I'm not taking my car out of storage.

Monday, March 13, 2006 5:28 PM
Ok.. then you may have to take it to GM to get the ABS module bled. You need a Tech 2 for that... if air gets into the module, it can ONLY be bled using the Tech 2. There isn't another way (that I've found, at least... and it says that in the GM service manual as well).

There's at least two little ball bearings on the top of the module, I believe the air is bled off through there... but it's controlled by the ABS module, and you need the Tech 2 to initiate the bleed.

I recall Nate (cavyboy, aka c22t, aka c24na, aka now as c24sc) Stafiej having this same issue, when he swapped from 95 to 00 brake module. Wouldn't bleed properly. I had a similar issue, but GM bleeding the module fixed it right away.

FYI, the 95-99 modules have bleeder valves on the top of the module... the 00+ ones don't though

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:41 PM
^^^And this kind of information is exactly why Lenko rules

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:24 PM
I know some pretty obscure crap... but it comes in handy once in a while.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:52 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:I know some pretty obscure crap... but it comes in handy once in a while.

too bad its wrong, LOL i replaced the master cylinder in my 98 cav with abs, i got the same bull@!#$ about requiring me to go to dealer to do both the abs tension release and abs bleed procedure, i did neither, i just replaced the master cylinder, bled till i had a decent amount of brakes went around the block and had the antilock kick in about 3-4 times then went back and rebleed the brakes.

the abs tension release takes the tension off the 3 pistions in the module, all they did was spin when i seperated them, the second part all it does is activate the abs motors, same as activating them when braking, to get air out of the module, my brakes are rock solid after doing it.

ps the snapon scanner 2500 with abs module will also do both procedures, tec 2 is not the only one that can

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:54 PM
i apologize, i did not see that there was no bleeders on the module, but i was still told the same bullcrap you guyz were, maybe u need the computer for the 00+, sorry lenko

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 9:27 PM
Yup... it's a 2000+ thing... (isn't it all around here? ) I almost had to kill Bill

95-99 has bleeders on the top. 00-05 (00-02 for sure, 03-05 IF you have ABS) has no bleeders, just little ball bearings you can't do anything with.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search