Leaking Brake Line - help asap. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Leaking Brake Line - help asap.
Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:12 AM
Last night parking the cav, I felt the pedal go real soft. I knew I had blown a line somewhere, but it was late so I left till today.

Anyways, its the rear drivers side line (Nice little puddle under there). Now, being that its the rear line, is it possible to cap that line? Like could I put a plug in the master cylinder so no fluid goes to that side for a temp fix until I can take it somewhere or get under and repair it myself?

On the master cylinder there are the 4 lines branching off it. From the front of the car where do those go? Which one would be that rear ds line?

And lastly, can this be done? How safe is this idea? What damage can I do?

Thanks guys for the help.

Re: Leaking Brake Line - help asap.
Saturday, March 11, 2006 12:22 PM
well i drove without rear brakes for 2 years and not know it, so only big issue is how long will your front brakes last.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 12:38 PM
How bad is the leak? Is it spraying out? Is it a split line or is it leaking at a connection?

You really don't want to do a hack job here. The brakes are too important and having one not working can give you some pretty unpredictable handling during an emergency stop. Get it fixed ASAP!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 3:22 PM
I totally realize it needs to be fixed. I have not pin pointed the leak as of yet, all I know is it is the rear line.

I plan on having it repaired next week, but I need a temp fix at this point.

I have been told to "clamp" off that line. Never clamped a line before, so I don't know what this means? What do I clamp it with? Do I clamp down on the steel line?

Maybe someone could explain this procedure for me, so I can make a few extra days so I can get it too the shop.

Thanks guys.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:08 PM
they prolly mean just pinch it shut so that it doesnt leak all your fluid out and you have at least you have your fronts

Sunday, March 12, 2006 6:56 AM
Probably. But in order to do so, you need to find where the leak is. That's your first step.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:15 PM
Temp fix = Don't drive the car. I realize people do stupid things every day, but you really should think about this good and hard; if not for your own sake, then other people's.

There are no plugs that fit that thread, on purpose. Pinching the line could cause all kinds of other problems too.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:35 PM
also, since you left it sit over night, there's a good chance you have next to no fluid left in the system. do you have another car to drive for now? and repairing a brake line isn't difficult, you just need a couple fittings and a small piece of brake tubing, no real need to take it to a shop, unless you just dont have the time to do it yourself.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:42 PM
"you just need a couple fittings and a small piece of brake tubing,"

if your talking about a compression fitting, in my area, that wil not pass inspection if caught

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search