sway bars install price ? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sway bars install price ?
Friday, March 10, 2006 4:40 AM
Hi guys... I'm currently debating getting in on the addco sway bars GP, but I'm wondering how much it would cost to have them installed. I know the rear isn't much of a problem, but for the front you have to drop the subframe I'm pretty sure...

So how many hours do you think a shop would quote me for installing the front ? the rear ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock

Re: sway bars install price ?
Friday, March 10, 2006 4:50 AM
Dunno, but i did my front Eibach, it wasnt too bad, just follow the directions.

Friday, March 10, 2006 5:00 AM
I would do one at a time to decide whether you even want both on the car. Don't just add suspension components because they exist.

The rear one you can do in your driveway if you've got hand tools and a wrench.

The front one is a bit more intimidating, but you can do that one yourself as well.

Friday, March 10, 2006 5:07 AM
thanks for your advice WW, but please answer the question if you've got an answer...

Installing them myself is not an option, unless I specify otherwise in a future post...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, March 10, 2006 5:13 AM
WW

Why wouldn't you add both?

Friday, March 10, 2006 6:04 AM
Topsub wrote:WW

Why wouldn't you add both?

It depends on your goals in the handling.

I like my car mostly neutral so I'm only running a rear Eibach bar with the stock front bar. My high rate springs help keep the car level in general so the end result is something I really like.

If I wanted to tune in a bit of understeer, then I'd put on the larger front bar I've got sitting in my basement.

I like the way it handles now though, so I choose not to.

Tuning handling isn't quite like adding power. You don't just keep adding things to get "more" handling out of it. You add, change, and tune things to get the specific characteristics you're looking for.

With suspension, I always recommending doing things one at a time so you can tell exactly what difference it made and decide how to proceed from there.

Friday, March 10, 2006 6:08 AM
thing is that's a pretty great price and i don't want to pass this up... but my reasoning to buy both at the same time was that since they are both 1" they should put the car pretty neutral... or maybe I'm wrong... the weight distribution probably has a lot to do with this also...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, March 10, 2006 6:45 AM
If the price is right, by all means buy them both. Just don't put them both on at the same time. Put the back one on first and see if you like it. Then put the front one on later and decide whether you like the change. Then you can take the front one off and put the stock one back on if you liked it better that way. Or you can decide, when you put the back one on, that you really like it and not even bother with the front one.

Buying both isn't an issue. I'm sure you can always sell one later if you decide it's not for you.

Friday, March 10, 2006 6:47 AM
BTW WW please check your PMs I have a question for you.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, March 10, 2006 6:52 AM
Hey there Dante.

Do you have a front sway bar already?

The lone Ecotec I've driven in from rent a car was a factory Sunfire.
But it had the big 24mm front sway bar.

So I'd check that first because you may not need the front bar at all.

Its only a 1mm diff. And you could save on installation fees.

Just a thought.
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, March 10, 2006 6:55 AM
Was it a base model ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:12 AM
Well, I spent about 45min installing my rear bar and maybe 1.5-2 hours installing the front bar (from start to finish).

I would expect a labor charge for 2-3 hours worth of work (definatley not more than 4 though). You will also need an alignment after dropping part of the sub frame.

3 hours * 65/hr is $195
Alignment $60

So, I say you are looking at $200-$250 to have both bars installed.

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:13 AM
thanks zach...

I might go with only the rear for now... I'm supposed to be keeping this money for the gm s/c lol...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, March 10, 2006 7:46 AM
Also, update your registry or you'll be banned. Did you not see the warning? This isn't an anonymous site. You can use whatever name you'd like to post but your registry has to have your real name in it.

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:48 AM
see I didn't know that... and the forum warning wasn't really explicit so chill a bit will ya ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, March 10, 2006 7:51 AM
BTW if you checked your PMs you would have seen that I did want to correct my registry...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search