Doing brakes for first time. Couple questions. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Doing brakes for first time. Couple questions.
Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:32 PM
I have a 2002 Cavalier. I am replacing my front brake pads for the first time and have a few questions.

First, I have a set of sockets used to remove the calipers. What size should I use for my car? They are not the star shaped ones. They are shaped like allen wrenches.

Second, is there anything special I have to do to clip the outward and inward brake pads in place. I know they have clips, are they easy to snap into place. Any tricks I should know while doing it?

Third, is it hard to take off the old pads? Do they just slide off?

Fourth, I am using jack stands to hold the car up. Where is a safe place to put the stands under the car. Is there something that will hold all that weight.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Re: Doing brakes for first time. Couple questions
Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:48 PM
Quote:

First, I have a set of sockets used to remove the calipers. What size should I use for my car? They are not the star shaped ones. They are shaped like allen wrenches.

i believe its a 3/8 Allen

Quote:

Second, is there anything special I have to do to clip the outward and inward brake pads in place. I know they have clips, are they easy to snap into place. Any tricks I should know while doing it?

they will stay in place pretty well

Quote:

Third, is it hard to take off the old pads? Do they just slide off?

they pop right out, maybe a flat head screwdriver

Quote:

Fourth, I am using jack stands to hold the car up. Where is a safe place to put the stands under the car. Is there something that will hold all that weight.

right behind the tire theres are several places, just don't use places like your floor boards or the oil pan.

Quote:

Any help would be great.
Thanks

a 3-5 inch C-clamp is your friend grasshopper

if you don't have a book for your car or have not done brakes before get it, its worth your weight in gold.

don't put too much lube on the slider bolts they can collect dirt and work like sand paper

also a tube of lube usually comes with the pads

this is a great time to clean up your calipers, get at least two cans of it and the store brand is just as good as the "good stuff"

Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:50 PM
the bolts holding the calipers on to the brackets are allens, so you're fine there.

nothing special in removing the old ones. just pull the old ones out, and put the new ones in in reverse order.

I put my jackstands under the radiator core support. it's right behind the plastic "flap" that hangs down.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:51 PM
yea its 3/8" allen key. make sure before you take the old pads out you compress the caliper or else when you put the new pads on they wont fit over the rotor.

also if you dont remove any brake lines then you dont have to bleed the brakes, just make sure once your done, you get in the car and pump the brakes so the pads will fit snug on the rotor

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:13 PM
may be worth it to buy new slider bolts, you never know what condition they're gonna be in when you pull them off. thats my .02

14.82 @ 97 mph
Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:38 PM
double posting is the devil.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:55 PM
I ususally put jack stands on the sub frame brace. When you're under there, there's several places where you'll find big thick bolts, those are usually good place to put a jack stand.

Getting the Haynes book would be a really really good idea.

The whole C-Clam thing: Take the outter pad off, put the clamp on so one side is on the Inner Pad and the other side is near (not on) the brake line. Push the piston most of the way in.

Make sure you pump the brakes until they are firm before you move the car!!!!!!!
Or you'll be in for a huge suprise when you do move the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search