Has anyone tried these PowerSlot Rotors? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Has anyone tried these PowerSlot Rotors?
Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:33 PM
Has anyone tried these? What do you think of them?

Big brakes normally come with a big price tag. Until now.

The Power Slot Plus system features a premium quality, slotted brake rotor that is larger than the vehicle's Original Equipment rotor but that can still be used with the vehicle's original factory brake calipers. Included in the system are Power Slot's patented caliper relocation brackets. These brackets are used to space the factory caliper further away from the hub to accommodate the oversized brake rotor. This increases brake torque force without affecting pedal effort or travel. The larger rotor is also a more effective heat sink, absorbing the heat generated under heavy braking to greatly reduce brake fade and provide consistently shorter stopping distances, especially during higher speed driving.

Key Features

* Premium quality, larger diameter rotor
* 100% bolt-on system, no cutting or drilling
* Relocates the factory brake caliper for increased braking effectiveness
* No special brake pad sizes required, just use Original Equipment-sized high performance pad (sold separately)
* Complete hardware kit and comprehensive installation instructions included

NOTE: All Power Slot Plus systems require the use of larger diameter wheels. Check the dimensions of your wheels carefully before purchasing

Re: Has anyone tried these PowerSlot Rotors?
Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:43 PM
they make those for j-bodies?

i have factory replacement powerslot rotors, and they are no different than regular old rotors, except for being nearly 4 times as expensive

Monday, March 06, 2006 10:57 AM
these look like 2 piece rotors.

2 piece = less weight = less rotating mass = TeH W!N

if they made these for J-bodies that would be awesome

-Chris

Monday, March 06, 2006 12:49 PM
They don't make them for our cars yet. I saw them in SCC and went to the website to look a few days ago. They only have them for the bigger GMs mainly the SUVs. I e-mailed the sales department to see if they will be coming out with a kit for the J-bodies but no response yet. I kind of liked the idea myself so I was disappointed.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 1:57 PM
JT wrote:They don't make them for our cars yet. I saw them in SCC and went to the website to look a few days ago. They only have them for the bigger GMs mainly the SUVs. I kind of liked the idea myself so I was disappointed.

Thats right. I looked into these a while back and nothing for the J's

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 5:00 PM
i have the Power Spot Slotted Rotors. i like them

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 5:04 PM
I doubt they will make those for our cars. The way our caliper mounts to the spindle, with the arms that swing over the rotor to guide the caliper, we would need new spindles or heavily modify the stock spindles. I would love to have something like this for our cars, but there is no practical way to do it.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:30 AM
Cuttingor grinding the two tabs off the knuckle does not count as "heavily" modding it, nor does it require new knuckles to be provided....
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:01 AM
Yeah but you need those to attach the caliper back to it. So you would have to cut them off and reattach them back on the spindle farther away.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:30 AM
I agree with Nick. I'll believe it when I see it.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:12 AM
Ok, so how does everyone with a big brake kit make it fit? I'm sure someone on here has a big brake set on the front. And I'm sure the kit doesn't require hacking up the knuckles.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:40 AM
I did the FNW swap, which changes to different knuckles.
The store bought kits (Baer,Willwood, etc) replace the knuckle with a new one.

I don't know of any BBK that don't change or modify the knuckle.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:20 PM
wouldn't that kit be useless if you are still using stock pads????
even if the disc are bigger, but you keep your stock caliper and pads, i dont think it will help in braking..... correct me if i'm wrong!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:29 PM
The purpose of a big brake kit is to use a larger rotor, which acts as a bigger heat sink. It also has a little larger brake torque. The bigger multi piston calipers that come with big brake kits don't apply more force, they spread the force more evenly across the pad, improving pad life. They are also stiffer to resist flexing. They do use bigger pads in most cases, which can improve brake force. But the main benefit from a big brake kit is the larger rotor for a bigger heat sink.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:53 PM
OG Nick wrote:The purpose of a big brake kit is to use a larger rotor, which acts as a bigger heat sink. It also has a little larger brake torque. The bigger multi piston calipers that come with big brake kits don't apply more force, they spread the force more evenly across the pad, improving pad life. They are also stiffer to resist flexing. They do use bigger pads in most cases, which can improve brake force. But the main benefit from a big brake kit is the larger rotor for a bigger heat sink.

Yep. It's also to help with rotational mass. When you add big wheels and tires, you move the rotational mass away from the center (hub), which not only takes more energy to get going (horsepower, torque), but it also takes more energy to stop (brakes). By adding larger rotors, aside from the afore mentioned benefits, it also helps to offset the increased rotational mass by increasing the size of the rotational center, thus allowing the brakes to function as if you were using smaller wheels than what you actually have.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:55 PM
thats a good thing to know.
thanx!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 4:35 PM
OG Nick wrote:Yeah but you need those to attach the caliper back to it. So you would have to cut them off and reattach them back on the spindle farther away.

The caliper does not attach to the tabs, it rests on them. Big brake kits do not have them nor would you need them with the dogbone style adapters that mount the caliper to the height of the new rotors. You simply gring them down until the rotor fits without rubbing on them. It's like a DIY big brake using stock calipers & does not count as a major nknuckle modification as you could still use the stock caliper & rotors without those tabs.
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 4:45 PM
Well I'm sure you COULD mount the caliper without the guide arms, but I personally wound not do it. The calipers are made to use those guides, where Baer, Wilwood, and SSBC are engineered to not use a guide. Plus they are a fixed caliper, not a sliding caliper like stock. That is my reasoning. Yes you can mount the stock caliper without the guides, but I would advise against it.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 4:49 PM
lmao I actually forgot cavs use a fixed caliper stock
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:13 PM
It's a sliding caliper stock.
More pistons usually mean more piston area. More piston area does mean more braking force.
I still agree with Nick. Anybody have pictures to prove otherwise??

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:29 PM
Yes, more piston area will give more force, however, with the same master cylinder, you would need to press the pedal much farther to move the bigger pistons. Too much and you wont have enough pedal to fully press the pad to the rotor, plus brake bias will be off. Granted it would take a much bigger caliper and pistons to do that.

Now that all this came up, I am now curious as to the piston area of our available big brake kits. Anyone know?

Go Go OG Traction!!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 11:08 AM
Do they have these for N or W bodies..... or even F-bodies?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:17 PM
All those bodies (the newest generations anyway) use a caliper + bracket to the knuckle. So you could just replace the bracket. J-Bodies do not have any bracket holding the caliper.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:43 PM
I know ..... I just want the rotors

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, March 12, 2006 9:51 PM
I also emailed them to see if they had any plans for us. I doubt it. We should all send emails and hit them hard so they may gain some interest. Just go to powerslot.com and see the listing for cars. It shows everything they make the big brake kits for.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search