new strut mounts for new spring/strut install???? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new strut mounts for new spring/strut install????
Sunday, March 05, 2006 12:16 AM
ok so now i have 1.7" drop all around springs and my dspecs have just arrived. now what i would like to do is remove the complete spring/strut/mount and simply install the new spring/strut/mount. this would make the install rather easy i would think? i have never done suspension work before so i would like to learn this. so i went to my local canadian tire here in canada , and the prices were like $70 per one front strut mount. and $40 per one rear mount. then the dust boots were cheap. so i was just wondering if i get these will they include any other things involved with the mount, like any bearings or anything else i should be aware of?. and also are these decent prices? thanks in advance

Re: new strut mounts for new spring/strut install?
Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:27 AM
There's no bearings in the rear. The front mounts will include the bearings. If there's nothing wrong with your current mounts, then this is a big waste of money.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:32 AM
well my car just hit 100,000 kms. how long do mounts last????. i just dont want to have to replace them any time soon ya know....

Sunday, March 05, 2006 12:05 PM
Well, I just did AGX & pro-kit install last saturday Feb 25 and I had 96,785km on my car, the thing is you dont know until you pull it all apart. I went to my local napa store and picked up new mounts all the way around just incase. Big deal you can return them if you dont need them.

My fronts were pretty well hatched when we pulled the fronts off. Then the rears were starting to fall apart as well and cracking. So good thing I picked up all new mounts. If you have 100,000km on your car. I would probably replace them so that you dont have to shortly down the road. But if you pull things apart and there in good shape dont replace them.

My 2 bits,
Sunday, March 05, 2006 12:28 PM
i'll be driving this car for at least the next 3 years... so it seems to be the smart thing to do for the long run i would think........

and this would make the install process fairly easy correct?, just remove the whole old strut/spring/mount and put in the new strut/spring/mount right??

Sunday, March 05, 2006 4:49 PM
I have 11 original mounts on 3 cars with 390,000 miles total. So sometimes they last forever. It's just the most common thing to break, doesn't mean they wont last a long time. Also there's no minimum time. Some cars chuck one after 10,000 miles.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:25 PM
Brian Lindsay wrote:i'll be driving this car for at least the next 3 years... so it seems to be the smart thing to do for the long run i would think........

and this would make the install process fairly easy correct?, just remove the whole old strut/spring/mount and put in the new strut/spring/mount right??

If your going to drive the car for the next 3 years I would probably replace them just to be on the safe side. Also like I said. Pick them up just to be on the safe side when you do the install. If there in good shape dont replace them. If they are you have the parts there to replace the mounts.

Well technically it would make the install more easy as everything is brand new. Struts, mounts & springs. Then you know everything would be new like when I did my install last week.

One thing I have learned on the JBO is dont cheap out. Do it right the first time.

My 2 bits,

J
Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:51 PM
four mounts cost me $180 US - everthing is included and you can install them with out dissasembling the old units - make sure you start on saturday and have all weekend to work incase there are problems - if you know what your doing you should be able to do the install in like 2 hours

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search