tein basic install??? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tein basic install???
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:49 PM
OK.....so......I HAVE read the entire suspention FAQ and searched "install" and then just "tein install" on "all dates" but i'm still a little fuzzy on what to expect on my install when my coils get here from gravana.

I know I will need 2000+ front strut mounts for my 98 fire GT but I have yet to read anywhere if i will need mounts for the back too.

1) Do I need 2000+ rear mounts too?
2) Since I am buying new front mounts (which should come with the upper spring mount) can I put the front struts together and install them complete without canabalizing any parts from the old bones? Same on the rear?

Any help is appreciated; and for the other newbies out there I plan on having my girl take pics of the whole thing so I can post a how to later......doin my best........thanX

Re: tein basic install???
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:59 PM
While it may not answer your question, here are all the threads on Tein Basics:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=3&search=tein+basic&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

HTH

Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:27 PM
yea basically the same results i was getting .... i guess i just wanted someone who had been there and done that with this setup that could tell me.....but that's ok.....i plan on getting some pics of the install so even though it sounds basically like replacing stock struts it's always nice to see what someone else has done.......but anyway i guess i'll be the one with the pics then.....just need somewhere to host'em lol......

Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:36 PM
I have 2k+ mounts of course so I can't really help you, but the upper spring seats cup the 2k+ mounts perfectly while I recall the 95-99 design being different.

I don't believe the rear mounts have ever changed, 2k+ or not.

Friday, March 03, 2006 4:02 AM
i thought the tein basic was a complete swap

Friday, March 03, 2006 5:21 AM
rookiemasker wrote:just need somewhere to host'em lol......

http://imageshack.us/

Friday, March 03, 2006 7:57 AM
quoted! wrote:i thought the tein basic was a complete swap

The SS setup is, the Basics are pretty much, minus using OEM strut mounts. I bought all new Monroes as my fronts were shot anyhow.

Easiest suspension swap I've done yet for sure.

Friday, March 03, 2006 11:52 AM
hey joe how did you kow your mounts were bad? i have a 2002 with 105k miles on it do you think mine are bad???? how can i tell?

Friday, March 03, 2006 11:59 AM
You'd know, mine sqeeked horribly when going over bumps. When apart you can also rotate the top from the bottom piece of it in opposite directions to check the bearings, the two-pieces also seperate allowing a visual inspection, on the right you can see the bottom piece which under the rubber seal in the middle the bearings are housed-

Honestly 2k+ mounts aren't the greatest, and yours have some wear and tear on them, so if you have some money laying around I recommend doing the fronts while everything it apart, I paid $100 shipped for those Monroes.

I've never had rears go bad, but I also swapped newer rears on, allowing me to keep all my stock suspension in one-piece for later use if needed.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:33 PM
Well everything came in quick and easy from Gravana. It took me forever to install them cause this was the first time I've had my suspention apart on my fire and only the second time I've done any suspention work. Sadly I have no pics though! Had a camera but no fresh batteries handy....ugh....well I guess installing these don't really need picture instructions anyway cause IT IS SO EASY!! Well it's not any worse that replacing oem's anyway.

Quote:

I also swapped newer rears on, allowing me to keep all my stock suspension in one-piece for later use if needed.
Me too.

1) There is no difference between 1995 - 1999 and 2000+ rear mounts.
2) For those of you who want to replace all your mounts (not really a need unless they are bad) you can install the tein basics as complete units when you buy all new mounts all around. (Keep in mind that pre 2000 models will need the 2000+ front mounts.)

I originally had the height 1 inch from the bottem of the threads on the dampners tein recommends 1.2 inches, but wow what a feeling at that height! But I've upped the height adjusters to 1 3/8 inches becasue I thought I might be too low cause the roads seem to suck everywhere I go. After adjusting though I think they should come down some. I've decieded to keep the positive rake for handling and for looks, cause i think fires look sucky lowered even.

Anyway, I want to lower it down some but I don't want to keep fussing with it so what height is everyone else running on this setup. I was thinking it should come down an 1/8 inch.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:43 PM
Well I've finally taken the time to adjust my basics again. I decieded to lower them 3/16" more to 1 3/16" measured from the bottom of the lower adjustment ring to where the green paint starts (just after the last thread). I have to say that I'm very happy I did it! My brother and my girlfriend laughed at me when I told them how much I wanted to lower it (3/16ths!!) but I noticed too big of a change when going from 1" to 1 3/8" so I split the difference.

Have been avoiding some rough roads - overall though I am happy with my Teins!

Monday, March 20, 2006 11:14 PM
Tein's rawk i just put mine in this weekend, and i love em. good quality stuff.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search