Bad Vibes After Drop - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad Vibes After Drop
Monday, February 27, 2006 9:19 PM
I lowered my car finally with D-specs and Sportline springs. I took it for a spin after I got everything done and noticed a slight vibration when accelerating hard, especially in 3rd and 4th gear. I took it for an alignment and got my tires balanced and rotated a couple days later. After I got it aligned it still vibrates, but when I'm not on the gas it feels a lot smoother than it did before the drop. I checked the CVs when the wheels were off, lubed a few things, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Its not that bad, most wouldn't notice it, but I notice everything. I was just wondering if it is normal. I'm going to recheck all the bolts in the morning, but I torqued all and locktited most of the bolts, so I don't think that is the problem.

Re: Bad Vibes After Drop
Monday, February 27, 2006 9:21 PM
Yu dont like a stiffer ride?

And did you break them in at all? Cause there is a break in period.

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:22 PM
Also since D-specs are adjustable, where do you have yours set at?

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:52 PM
Hell yeah I love the ride! Right now they are set at the softest setting, I believe at 7.5 turns from hard. I will keep it there for about 350 more miles till they are broke in.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:17 AM
I have the same vibration. No clue what it is.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:51 AM
Kinetic - I saw your post about this. It had dropped off the main page so I thought I would bring it back.

I checked all bolts this morning. Everything is torqued. Could it be because the CVs are more in line now than they were before?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:58 AM
Do you feel the vibration in the wheel or the body of the car?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 11:07 AM
Both, but mainly in the pedals and the steering wheel. I'm going to change my oil in the morning and recheck everything once again. Its not bad, but kinda annoying.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:48 PM
I feel it in the wheel, and the body. Not the pedels. I think it has something to do with the CV joints. IDK. Kinda wigging me out though.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:15 PM
are u sure its not just increased road feel? when i lower my 00 Z24 with koni's i got alot more road feel like i could feel the little stones and ridges in the rode slightly through my steering wheel
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:11 PM
I have the same vibration with my rk sport coilover struts, I thought it was just me, but I guess it has something to do with the dropping of most j-bodies.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:29 PM
I'm pretty sure its the axle's......

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:41 PM
On the drive home from work tonight, I did some checking to see exactly where I could feel the vibration. Just like Kinetik, it is between 40 and 55 mph when accelerating hard, in third gear. if I don't accelerate hard you can barely feel it, if at all. It can be felt throughout the car, but mainly in the wheel. I don't believe it is road feel, but I do know exactly what you are talking about. When I first drove the car after the drop, I could feel every crack in the road!

After reading some other posts, I too think that maybe it is just the axles/CVs.

I only have about 160 miles on the new struts, so I will wait till they have broken in good before I try anything else.

By the way, anyone use rhino ramps? Just wondered if they would fit under the car after a drop with sportline springs.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:37 AM
i had the rhino ramps and you can get up it you might hear some rubbing from the air dam but it should be no problem

~Go Navy~ Accelerate your life... Right into the persian gulf!
Petty Officer Justin Hegenbart, USN

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 9:44 AM
I've got almost 1000 miles on my struts and the vibration is still there. This is what I think. I think that over the time our cars were driven at the stock height there are wear marks in the axles and when you lower the car it moves the wear marks and thus vibration. I'm willing to bet that after I switch axles the vibration will be gone. But we'll see. I'm just glad I'm not the only one.

Also edwardsmr2002 do me a favor, put your car in reverse and slowly backup while turning the wheel preferably on grass or a slightly bumpy service. I have a weird popping noise coming from all 4 corners and I think its just the springs moving a bit but I can't be sure.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 9:58 AM
If you mean that as in turning the wheel all the way and back up, and it pops, that indicates that the cvs are bad or going bad.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:29 PM
I know what you mean and no its not the CV's going its just a slight turn under little to no power its coming from the struts on all 4 corners, just seeing if anyone else with the same setup is having the same noise and if its normal.

Friday, March 03, 2006 8:00 AM
No, I don't have any noises like that.

Friday, March 03, 2006 8:46 AM
I had this same problem... after i lowered my car the first time on dropzone springs on stock struts. I had shudders while accelerating. I then went to the prokit and AGX... no more shudders but still high speed vibs.

I swapped in new drive axels and it cured the problem for about 10-15 miles and the vibs came back. But also when doing so i forgot to install the new seal for the drive shafts for the wheel bearings... so i am wondering if that was a cause. I think i am also going to try the Prothane control arm bushings and subframe brace. I also thought it maybe from my old used 17"s which i drove around without hubrings for along time and always had the vibrations ever since i put those on my car. So i sold those off picked up brand new 18"s... I also had the problem with the stock wheels on the car, but i never ran them after i replaced both front wheel bearings, and cv shafts. I am also only dropped 1.4"s on the prokit. So i think i am going to try....

Driveshaft shop axles or ask Advance Auto to replace the ones i got from them under warranty.
Prothane control arm bushings
Subframe brace
new ball joints.

Install all those new parts and start with my stock steelies, then if thats all fixed i will only then mount my new wheels to my car. Sinc ei know there are no problems being they are brand new.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search