Front and rear strut bars review: hell yeah ! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front and rear strut bars review: hell yeah !
Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:03 AM
Sup guys !

ok before I start this review is based on winter driving with 14 in winter tires, so handling will probably be a lot different than this summer when I put my 17 summer wheels and tires back on. Other suspension mods are the kyb agx and eibach pro kit strut/spring combo set at 2f 4r.

I bought the Vibrant front and rear strut bar combo from www.gravanatuning.com for 100 $ plus shipping (BTW jim from gravana is an awesome guy to deal with). I installed the front first and drove it like that for about a week. Didn't notice much of a difference.

Then I installed the rear and...WOAH !!! The difference is far more than I would have expected from a 50 $ strut bar ! I was used to the rear tires losing grip pretty easily and also feeling the rear end sway like a mofo. Now it seems as though it doesn't lose grip at all and the sway seems non-existant ! I guess that translates to a lot less understeering than before. For example I like taking 90 turns pretty sharply going like 20 to 30 mph and just giving a fast steering wheel turn. Usually I could feel the rear slide but now it's to the point where I don't want to go faster anymore cuz it's becoming a bit scary lol, even though the car takes the turns no problem.

That's it, just wanted to share my latest happy modding experience. Feel free to discuss your experiences with strut bars...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock

Re: Front and rear strut bars review: hell yeah !
Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:48 AM
Sweet review, I've been trying to decide whether to pick up a front or rear strut bar (I probably can't afford both right now)... sounds like I'm going with the rear.

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:50 AM
better front than rear
front made a whole lot of difference for me

Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:52 AM
funny it's the contrary for me

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:43 PM
How difficult was the install?
Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:50 PM
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics... But this install is easy... as long as you've got the right size tools. The rear was a bit tougher to install as you've got to adjust the length of the bar (don't know if that's only Vibrant) and line up the holes all while being in a very uncomfortable position in your trunk.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:52 PM
Charlie Kraft wrote:How difficult was the install?

Yea I would love some info and pics of the install, especially that rear one. Any pics would be great.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 3:23 PM
the installs are very simple for strut bars, u take out two or three bolts in the frent depending on the type of bar u buy and two in the rear u take out the bolts place the bars over the holes and re-insert the bolts, u want to adjust the bars so they are tight so the bar is tight and will not move around at all
Sunday, February 26, 2006 3:33 PM
The install can't be dumber than this. You have round brackets at each end of the strut bars. Remove strut mount bolts. Line up brackets. Retighten strut mount bolts.

The only "hard" (that was sarcasm) part is bending the PCM bracket since it's in the way of the front strut bar. You have to remove the PCM from it's own bracket, the bend the bracket and put the PCM back on. Originally the PCM bracket is held into place by 3 bolts, 1 on the strut tower, and 2 in the firewall (I think that's what it's called) You won't be able to reuse the 2 that are in the firewall because of the bending of the PCM bracket. That's why you'll see in the pics that I used a small tiewrap that holds the pcm close to the strut bar in case the strut tower bolt breaks.

You also need two nuts for the rear bar as stock you only have 1 on each rear strut tower and the bar has two holes on each side. They were 4 $ CAD each at my dealer, but oh well...

On to the installed pics.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Sunday, February 26, 2006 4:02 PM
I have heard you need to jack the car up; did you? I think that would be kind of a waste but I was just asking. Also, did you do anything special at all for the rear bar or did you just climb in there and bolt it in? And did these two bars really make a difference for the money? Thanks for all the pics and info

Sunday, February 26, 2006 4:37 PM
You don't need to jack up the car. For the rear, you can either use two extra bolts (M10) or three washers per side top even out the bar.

You got the blue front and rear just like me. I think they are awesome. I did notice increased traction in the snow aswell. The car feels more solid, and able to take turns at higher speeds before the tires start to break lose.

I REALLY like mine too.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:16 PM
Atk2008 wrote:I have heard you need to jack the car up; did you? I think that would be kind of a waste but I was just asking. Also, did you do anything special at all for the rear bar or did you just climb in there and bolt it in? And did these two bars really make a difference for the money? Thanks for all the pics and info

why the hell would you need to jack the car up. these are strut bars, not sway bars.

For the rest of your questions. reread my posts, the answers are there.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Monday, February 27, 2006 9:24 PM
wow, your engine bay is dirtier than mine. 2005 w/36000mi

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:25 AM
if you had the winters we have here in Quebec, yours would probably be as dirty.

Oh yeah and I never cleaned my engine bay at all since I bought it in november 03.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:56 AM
Oh my dear god that engine is dirty !! Poor little car, You sir should be ashamed of yourself ! Now go sit in a corner till you wash that poor little car and show it some love.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:01 AM
thax man, that was helpfull for me! my 04 ls sport likes to lose grip at the rear and kick-in the abs....its pretty annoying! maybe that rear bar will help? soundz like it.

mecp certified installer#39272

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:01 AM
yeah until the next blizzard in which the engine will become as dirty as it is now, no thanks

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search