building a new strut assembly - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
building a new strut assembly
Saturday, February 25, 2006 7:03 PM
Hi, home finally from Iraq, with a set of AGX's and the Eibach Prokit here. I plan on assembling the struts without taking the stock ones off, and had a few ?'s. Is all i need bearing plates, strut mounts (I assume they just come with uppers), and boots/bump stops? I couldnt really see how the bottom of the spring was held onto the strut that was my main concern. I plan on doing the same for the rear set as well, so lemme know if theres anything else i might have to get extra for the rear other than the mounts. Thanks!

Re: building a new strut assembly
Saturday, February 25, 2006 7:20 PM
The bottom of the spring is held by the perches on the strut, which is welded on to the strut.

But what you have listed is pretty much all that you will need for the front and rear. You will also probably want to get some isolators as well (thin strips of rubber that sit between the bottom of the spring and the strut perch, prevents squeaking).

Good plan though, wish I had thought of that when I was doing my swap

Saturday, February 25, 2006 7:24 PM
My dad had recommended putting rubber tubing on the actual spring, would that be a better alternative if i cant find the isolators?

Saturday, February 25, 2006 7:52 PM
Get the isolators.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:34 PM
^ Agreed.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:47 PM
Who's got them? I didnt see anything from Autozone, Advance Auto might have them (will have to double check).

Sunday, February 26, 2006 6:43 AM
Dealer. They're pretty cheap.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:59 PM
seems i'll need boots and bump stops as well as the upper bearing seat. No car parts store sells them, so i'll have to check out the GM Parts direct, and check out the dealer tomorrow.

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:27 AM
tirerack.com sells KYB boots & bumpstops

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:33 AM
Napa sells them, and they are fairly cheap.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, February 27, 2006 6:52 AM
I priced all of the other pieces i'd need from GM Parts Direct, it was over $200 for bump stops, boots, isolators, the spring seats, and a lower retainer for the rear. I decided im better off taking the old one apart instead.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search