HELP steel lines with Air ride - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP steel lines with Air ride
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:23 AM
I need help on making my air lines steel lines. not sure what kind of steel to use and how to go about bending it. what about using elbows and other fittings or would that slow the air flow down abit? any help would be greatly appriciated.
Broda

Re: HELP steel lines with Air ride
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:42 AM
talk to the guy w/ the 2nd gen cav. i was looking into all brass lines. its hard to bend but he said he made a bender out of an extra pulley he had

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:48 AM
yeah I pm'd him last week and no reply so im turning to the org for help lol
Broda

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:48 AM
my only other option to tell you is check out some s10 forums, the easystreet site (i doubt they would have anything) or layitlow.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:08 PM
You want Sch40 (schedule 40, or 30 would work too) Nickle Plated Steel (what brake lines are made of, hard to find), Stainless steel, or Brass pipe. Don't use unplated steel, it'll rust too quickly. Get 3/8 or 1/2 diameter (or whatever floats your boat really, those are good sizes to use however).

Benders are expensive to buy; rent, barrow, cobble if you have to. You must use some sort of bender or the pipe will just kink. Measure 10 times, then bend once!

If you know someone who has bent pipe before, grab them. It's much harder than it looks to get the bends right. Also, the warmer the pipe the easier it will bend without problems. I highly suggest keeping them at room temperature for as long as is reasonable (all will tarnish if you expose a torch to them, fyi).

I would definately use solid brass fittings for everything.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:11 PM
awsome thanks for the info. two of my best buds are plumbers and I wont have any problems getting thier help lol. benders, piping, and fittings all available to me. most likely going to go stainless. planning on running the lines through the car to help reduce rusting so fast.
meausre first lots, for sure, otherwise its a waste of time lol
Broda

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:57 PM
with the way metal prices are right now, your gonna pay an arm and a leg for s/s lines. i work in a metal shop and prices for our alum and s/s plates are going way up

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:15 PM
Yeah.. SS will be expensive, but it doesn't rust. No need to put them inside the car (other than protection from possibly hitting them). IMHO, it's worth it, but I"m an do-it-right, overkill type of engineer.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search