Converting to RWD and other mindless follies - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Converting to RWD and other mindless follies
Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:01 PM
Hey everyone, My name is Jim and I'm new to this site. I am a E.T. Bracket Drag Racer with a '74 Vega from central Pa. and now my son and I want to build a Pro Street Cavalier. We recently bought a beautiful '92 and will be buying a rear clip from S&W race cars in the next few days, but our real concern is the front end. Has anyone here ever attempted this swap and what are we getting into. Is there a bolt on kit available built specifically for the Cavalier or do we have to adapt a generic type, like a Jegster or some other Mustang II derivetive? If someone can direct me to a chassis shop that has done this type of change out or if anyone has some advice, I would greatly it. We want to install a Chevy 355 and a Turbo 350 in this car, and obviously it's gonna be unique, but I can't believe we're the first to try this. HELP!!! Jim

Re: Converting to RWD and other mindless follies
Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:25 PM
search for v8 cavalier. you'll find some info

Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:38 PM
Jim, there's a guy on our local site (www.azjbo.org) that has a RWD '04 I believe, running a 8.7 second eco setup. I believe his name is Tom Shambaugh.
I think this link might work so you can see the car:

Tom's car

he should be able to help ya out I believe.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, February 20, 2006 7:54 AM
there is alot of cavaliers out there that are rwd with a V8 in the front

the best known prostreet car is the J2000(pontiac version of the cavalier) done by rick doberton(prob spelled wrong) it had a twin turbo , twin super charged big block

pretty much you will need to replace alot of the front end as well , since nothing was set up for a rear drive set up

im going to be doing a rwd 97 cavalier with a 4cyl motor

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:54 PM
Well guys, I found what I need. A complete bolt in front suspension for the RWD conversion. www.smithperformance.com/ This just made this job a whole lot easier.
Thanks for your help. Jim
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:23 PM
they are the 1's i was thinking of using for mine when im ready for it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search