Rotors that don't rust???? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rotors that don't rust????
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:05 AM
I have tried different rotors on my car but I can't seem to find rotors that don't rust. Does anyone make brake rotors that don't rust. If so where can I get them?

Re: Rotors that don't rust????
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:22 AM
Nickle plated rotors will not rust on the edges or in the vanes, but will still rust on the contact surface if you don't drive the car for a while.

Rotors are made of cast iron, they can't be made of stainless or anything like that.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:29 AM
all rotors get surface rust

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:32 AM
All rotors rust as it is bare metal where the brake pads come in contact with the rotor.

There is plating on many "upgraded" rotors (baer, brembo, power slot) to prevent rust on the rotors where the pads don't wear.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:36 AM
Ive had powerslot on for 2 winters and they havent rusted one bit..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:47 AM
I have proslot, ot whom ever, They dont rust on the face, just across the edges and vanes.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 10:13 AM
^They don't rust on the face because it's constantly getting knocked off every time you use the brakes. That's just a standard unprotected rotor.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:58 PM
yuppers.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:23 PM
You can just spray paint them with a high temp paint before having them installed.

- Darren

ontariocavs.com -||- phewes.snowpants.org -||- zukiworld.com
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:44 PM
^ That's works much better than nothing. Key is, you have to do it before they get rusty, and it only lasts a few years at best (from personal experience up here in snow/salt land).

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:23 AM
Some exotics use non-cast-iron rotors that don't rust. I think they're some sort of carbon fibre based material.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:37 AM
i have the high temp stuff in like a rattle can...1500 degrees i think ...will this work...i have brand new stock rotors...id hate to see them rust like crap...

there is an oil that appaers to be on them...would this need to be removed first...?

if any one has detail instructions how to do this that would be awesome!
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:36 AM
WW:
jz: Yep. Just follow the directions. Usually you have to bake it in your oven to cure the paint. Most hi temp paints are ceramic based, which is water based, so the oil has to come off. Industrial strength clean works fine. Check the paint's directions.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:44 PM
Have them powder coated. The shop will mask off the contact surface and everything else will be coated. I don't think I would do that on a street car though. Too much road grime and crap flying around for it to last.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search