strut questions - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
strut questions
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:06 AM
ok i was pricing struts because my car is lowered on stock struts and well after reading on here i decided that ain't gonna be happening when the car comes back out in the spring. so whats the dofference between koni reds and yellows...yellows are adjustible and reds are not? also this site i can get tociko struts for $499...are these good for lowering applications?. i know the kyb gr2's are useless for lowering so those are out of th question but kyb agx seem to be better from what i read. as it comes down i have narrowed it down to two choices the tockios for $499 or the koni reds for $580...

Visit me on Cardomain

Re: strut questions
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:17 AM
also i just checked with the place where i work and apparently we can get konis and kyb...konis for some reason can only get the rear so that blows but i can get the kyb agx for $390 taxes in...maybe lower...should i do this?

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:34 AM
AGX's should work fine for you, they are a "performance based" strut.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 11:42 AM
depends how low is your car? if its passed 1.5" i wouldnt even bother w/ the agxs. they can probably handle a 1.7" drop but they are only warrentied up to 1.5" so why even bother.

reds arent made anymore but they are the exact same as the yellows except to adjust the reds you have to take them out of the car, where as the yellows can be adjusted while they are on the car. which tokico struts are you talking about. the d-specs or hps?

Monday, February 13, 2006 11:49 AM
^^^for the price he is saying he can them for I would say they are not the blue ones.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 11:53 AM
yes they are the blue ones

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:54 AM
and i got B&G springs which are 1.6 i do believe

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:55 AM
wow 500 bucks for hps? you sure? thats really high for those

Monday, February 13, 2006 11:59 AM
thats only one place i got that prices from...i might be able to get them through work as well haven't checked but will they do the trick...and even though the agx's are warrentied for 1.5 they're still better then stock right

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 12:09 PM
^^^Yes they are way better than stock. As far as warranty goes if Im not mistaken Koni's are the only company that will warranty any amount of drop as long as the spring being so low is not what caused it to fail.

Are these the struts you are talking about??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-CAVALIER-SUNFIRE-95-04-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ8038147375QQcategoryZ33590QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 12:13 PM
i didn't look for them on ebay but i found these on ebay...any thoughts?
dropzone struts

the ones i found for $500 are here
Tockios

Visit me on Cardomain

Monday, February 13, 2006 12:17 PM
you need to really search and read the faqs because i dont even think you know what to look for

dropzone = garbage. i dont care what anyone says, they are complete crap and shouldnt be used by anyone w/ common sense

hps are oem replacements, not meant for lowering. ie dont buy

agx are fine, if your lower than 1.5" then dont buy them. no point because if they blow your not gonna get a replacement.

spend the money the first time and do it right. if your below a 1.5" drop get yellows or d-spec. reds are not made anymore and i would take yellows over reds anyway since you can adjust them on the car

Monday, February 13, 2006 12:23 PM
NEVER BUY DROPZONE ANYTHING!!!! they are ebay for a reason. . and it aint a good one.

Monday, February 13, 2006 2:06 PM
you're right i don't know what to look for thats why i am asking questions and trying to figure out what is the best and safest way to get this done so don't be a dick

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 2:13 PM
You should be ok on the AGx's but if they blow, you will need to buy another. You could also use d-specs or koni's.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, February 13, 2006 5:18 PM
Mike Smeltzer wrote:you're right i don't know what to look for thats why i am asking questions and trying to figure out what is the best and safest way to get this done so don't be a dick

if you dont know anything, read the faq's. it saves a ton of time and simple questions like these

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:42 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]wow 500 bucks for hps? you sure? thats really high for those

OK I just looked at the link he provided and that price is Canadian.

You are wanting to lower your car more, right? If you are worried about a warranty go Koni, Koni's are the only company that will warranty any amount of drop as long as the spring being so low is not what caused it to fail, ie bottoming out, etc. If you are not worried about a warranty AGX's will be fine. Also as ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé) posted the Tokico struts you are looking at are the same as the GR2's by KYB, ie no better than stock.

-Brandon

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search