little lower - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
little lower
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:28 PM
in my car right now i got B&G springs...1.6 inch drop...or 1.7 i can't remember exactly but it doesn't sit quite as low as i want...i would like maybe a half an inch more now are there anything i can do to make it sit lower without having to get new springs or cutting mine(which will never happen)...some trick or am i stuck with this height unless i wan to change springs...i got stock struts now if that makes any difference thanks

Visit me on Cardomain

Re: little lower
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:11 PM
Taking out the spring isolators will give you an extra 1/4". Otherwise you're stuck getting different springs.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:16 PM
i'm not up totally on my suspension parts...what the hell is the spring isolator? lol and would it hurt anything to take it out

Visit me on Cardomain
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:19 PM
Erp, not isolator, I meant insulator. It's the little black rubber things between the spring and the strut (bottom) and the spring to the spring seat (top).

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:28 PM
ok i get ya and this won't damage anything or make alot of noise when i hit bumps?

Visit me on Cardomain
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:34 PM
It would probably start squeaking when you hit bumps and stuff. You're really best off getting different springs.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:40 PM
stupid question but i was under the impression it wasn't safe to put lowering springs on without changing the shocks/struts because they can blow out. correct me if im wrong but thats what i have always thought
Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:37 PM
your exactly right tyler. before you go buying springs to go any lower, look into some better shocks mike. soon your car will be bouncing down the damn road due to blown shocks. a 2'' drop on stock shocks is rediculous.
Monday, February 13, 2006 7:58 AM
what are good shocks to get...not cheapest cause i know ya get what ya pay for but i am working on a limited budget here...so middle of the road quality

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 8:26 AM
D-specs or Koni Yellows, price is pretty close depending on who you purchase them from.

D-specs will be directy bolt-on, Koni's will require you to modify the front strut housing becuase the front koni replacement is a cartridge.

your best bet would be to save up some cash and buy a set of tein basic, or superstreets. Then you can change the height of the car depending on your mood.

-Chris

Monday, February 13, 2006 11:32 AM
Tyler Lemburg wrote:stupid question but i was under the impression it wasn't safe to put lowering springs on without changing the shocks/struts because they can blow out. correct me if im wrong but thats what i have always thought

I wouldnt call it "not safe", it all depends on the persons driving, area and some other factors on wether or not it is "unsafe". I have a loop cut off my goldlines on stock struts and have been like that for a year and I couldnt be happier with the setup. The car handles like a dream but you always have to remember you have to give a little to get a little. It is slightly stiffer than stock. I love it and the only reason Im changing is to go to bags.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 11:54 AM
redecocav wrote:
Tyler Lemburg wrote:stupid question but i was under the impression it wasn't safe to put lowering springs on without changing the shocks/struts because they can blow out. correct me if im wrong but thats what i have always thought

I wouldnt call it "not safe", it all depends on the persons driving, area and some other factors on wether or not it is "unsafe". I have a loop cut off my goldlines on stock struts and have been like that for a year and I couldnt be happier with the setup. The car handles like a dream but you always have to remember you have to give a little to get a little. It is slightly stiffer than stock. I love it and the only reason Im changing is to go to bags.

no it is unsafe. riding on blown struts is not safe period

Monday, February 13, 2006 12:57 PM
thats what i thought that its unsafe to. but i just wanted to clear it up
Monday, February 13, 2006 5:58 PM
Let me re-phrase what I said.

It IS NOT unsafe to ride on lowering springs & stock struts.

It IS unsafe to ride on lowering springs and blown struts period. It does not have to be stock to be unsafe.

Like I said I have cut a loop off my Goldlines and I am on stock struts and have been for a year and they are not blown. It depends on driving habits, road conditions, condition of the struts before you put the springs on. Yeah if you have 100k on your stockers than hell yeah replace them. If you just bought the car and it only has 20k on it and was driven by an old lady before you got it then I would say you dont have to right that second.

Yes, factory struts will blow before aftermarket "performance" struts, but aftermarket struts blow too.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:04 PM
im not gonna argue w/ you on this but you are incorrect. lowering on stock struts is unsafe. since there is no way to tell when they are gonna blow, is unsafe. saying its safe to lower on stock struts is misinforming people. im not directing all of this towards you but those comments are what make all these new people to suspensions go ahead and lower on stock struts and never change them. they dont know any better and they see that statement so they think its ok.

im not calling you out and saying you dont know anything about suspensions cuz i can tell you know some stuff but i just hate to see new people get wrong info and ruin their cars

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:24 PM
Now if you cannot tell when you have blown struts or not you dont need to drive because that alone is hazard, having something that rides that different and you cant tell, come on now. If you are gonna lower your car on stock struts forever than you are moron. If you lower your car on blown struts you are an even bigger moron. Im not saying its OK to do those things. The only reason I never changed mine out is because:

1. They have not blown yet and I had low miles on the stockers.
2. My bags will be in this week and I was not about to spend $500 on shocks and then throw them out a couple months down the road.

Like I said aftermarkets blow just like stock struts they just take a little longer.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:27 PM
since there is no way to tell when they are gonna blow, is unsafe.

^^^Not being a smart @$$ but you cannot tell when aftermarket struts are gonna blow either.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:11 PM
someone just lock this thread and the other one i started...just turning into pointless fighting...i'm gonna do what i want with struts and just not tell you people what i have done...if they blow they blow...my problem not yours...lock this @!#$

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 7:21 PM
Whoa homes, not fighting, just conversating and stating opinions. We are here to help you out, just giving you all of your options.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:23 PM
its not an opinion when he says he's right and everyone else is wrong so @!#$ him...i'm finished with this topic

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, February 13, 2006 7:28 PM
Well he is just trying to put you in the "safest long-term" setup. He is right to an extent, a strut is a strut and any strut will blow eventually with lowering springs on them making them all unsafe. Just some will do it sooner than others depending on the driver and the area.

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:51 PM
Look I know many people how drive on their stock struts for a year or so while they save up money for struts... not all of us have money following from the butt.... nuff said...

save up money get a set of D-specs they run like 530 .... lots of people on the org have their own opinions and half who says things are bad have never really tried them but then some have and had bad or good experiences .... so what im saying is while everything is fighting over whether its safe or not..

You can ride on stock struts for a while many people do it but after a while you want to think about saving up for some after market struts

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:53 PM
CaviGirl (CaviEvoStyle) wrote:Look I know many people how drive on their stock struts for a year or so while they save up money for struts... not all of us have money following from the butt.... nuff said...

save up money get a set of D-specs they run like 530 .... lots of people on the org have their own opinions and half who says things are bad have never really tried them but then some have and had bad or good experiences .... so what im saying is while everything is fighting over whether its safe or not..

You can ride on stock struts for a while many people do it but after a while you want to think about saving up for some after market struts

Basically what I was saying.

-Brandon

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:26 AM
I know you're a good guy Redecoav

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:48 AM
Mike Smeltzer wrote:its not an opinion when he says he's right and everyone else is wrong so @!#$ him...i'm finished with this topic

thats right, you know more than anyone else in here. like i said, im not arguing over this i just hate when people give misinformation like lowering on stock struts is ok because its not.

yes aftermarket struts blow too but they are also meant for lowering and meant to take the abuse of the road. if you dont abuse the strut (ie. taking it past its limits) then it wont blow anytime soon. oem struts barely can handle the stock springs. i realize people are going to do whatever they want and not listen to anyone else (ie. you) but thats their problem, not me. im here to inform people on the wrong way to lower cars which is w/ crappy parts (ie, ebay coils, dropzone, aerospeed, etc..) and lowering on stock struts. if it was a suddle drop like 1.1 w/ a set of teins, then yes maybe you would be ok but i still wouldnt do it. lowering struts are made to take the abuse of being lowered, oem struts arent. like i said, your going to do what you want but i can gaurentee that your going to have nothing but problems and if your end up crashing your car (im not saying its going to happen but it can w/ blown struts) you may get dropped from the insurance and not get any money from it.

your going to get the people that say "yea ive been on stock struts and lowered for 2yrs and its not bad at all, just a little bouncy." those people are idiots and have no idea how a suspension works or what a quality suspension ride feels like.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search