Popping Sound when I turn, is this my cv? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Popping Sound when I turn, is this my cv?
Friday, February 10, 2006 7:22 PM
I have been noticing when I take a right hand turn the right side of my car makes a bad popping sound and then when you cut the wheel back to the right it pops again. I was wondering if this is a sign of my cv joints going bad or what it could be

Re: Popping Sound when I turn, is this my cv?
Friday, February 10, 2006 8:17 PM
sound a bit like a bad tie rod end.

Save our Environment, Plant a bush back in texas.
Friday, February 10, 2006 10:16 PM
Can you feel the pop in the wheel, or is it just the sound?
Can you tell where it's coming from at all?

Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:31 PM
I would check the tie rod end for wear, lube(might just need to fill the boot up) and destruction. My girls 98 cavs passanger boot was torn apart and she had the same noise. Pretty simple fix and only about 35 - 40 bucks. good luck

Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:43 PM
Strut mounts possibly too.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:42 PM
The popping comes when you turn right, but you can't feel it in the wheel, it sounds lower on the car like towards the wheels or axel, not high like the strut mount. I am waiting on it to dry off out side so I can jack my car and take a look at the boots to see if they are torn.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:42 PM
if your car has coilovers youll here a samilar sound

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:35 PM
id venture to guess its the intermediate shaft in ur steerign colum needs to get lubed up..does it do it at speed or just more noticable when your stopped?? phil
Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:07 PM
Lift both front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel. If it still does it, it's probably your steering shaft needs to be re-lubed. Strange, your the second person this week with these complains. There's a GM bulleting around somewhere that addresses the issue.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:46 PM
probably your axle they do that when the boot is blown i dont know how many axles i went through on my monte carlo but each time the boot was almost completely off.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:31 PM
my guess would have been strut mount

Visit me on Cardomain

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:17 PM
yes there is a bulletin for replacing the intermidiate steering shaft, you would hear it pretty much all the time though. Also if you hear the knocking when your accelerating and turning it is more than likely your cv shafts that need to be replaced. It will eventually get worse then just break so I suggest you at least get it looked at.
Monday, February 13, 2006 6:06 PM
If the car is stopped it dosn't make the sound at all, and its mainly made when I hang a right going in a round about range of 15 mph to 40 mph, it will pop once or twice in the turn and some times once you straighten out the wheel. A friend told me to grab ahold of the shaft and see if their is any play in the shaft, if so he said it was the shaft. Is that true? Also I double checked both the boots and I didn't see an visable cracks or breaks in the boots. An not I don't have coilovers I just have lowering springs, and I remember the sound of the springs/struts when they were settling or what ever they do, and this is a totally different sound.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search