Replace Rear Drum Brakes With Front Disc Brakes - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replace Rear Drum Brakes With Front Disc Brakes
Friday, February 10, 2006 4:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is worth it to get the disc brakes from a salvaged Cavalier and replace the drums with these discs. Would I have any trouble with brake pressure of any of the mechanics of the brake system not working? If I just pull off the drums and put on the discs will the discs have the same stopping power as the drums did? I want 4 wheel disc brakes, but I am at the financial point to buy a big brake conversion. Any info I can get on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Replace Rear Drum Brakes With Front Disc Brake
Friday, February 10, 2006 5:04 PM
wont work. check the suspension forum there is a neon rear disc swap how-to and i think it only cost like 300 bucks

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:45 PM
URL=http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=86735&t=86735#86735]Clicky[/URL]

Or for less hassle, you can do a swap from a Neon with a little bit of machine work.

Neon Swap
Neon Swap -- More info

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:47 PM
There really is no differance between braking power between drums and disk. Just that disk brakes are easier to fix, replace, usually lighter, and look better.

But i had a car with front and rear drums, it was a 55 chevy, there was no differeance before and after i swapped them out.

Save our Environment, Plant a bush back in texas.
Friday, February 10, 2006 6:00 PM
That's the second link I've screwed up recently...

Clicky

Friday, February 10, 2006 8:52 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:There really is no differance between braking power between drums and disk. Just that disk brakes are easier to fix, replace, usually lighter, and look better.

But i had a car with front and rear drums, it was a 55 chevy, there was no differeance before and after i swapped them out.

If you didn't notice the difference, they you just aren't driving it hard enough to benefit.

There is a big difference between the two. Discs dissipate heat better and thus won't fade as quickly with the same level of stopping power.

As for the question at the top of this post... do some reading here and you'll learn more about what's involved in putting discs in the back. You can't just get some new rotors and calipers and slap them on. There's nothing to attach them to.

Friday, February 10, 2006 10:15 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:There really is no differance between braking power between drums and disk.
Just plain wrong.

Friday, February 10, 2006 10:27 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
As for the question at the top of this post... do some reading here and you'll learn more about what's involved in putting discs in the back. You can't just get some new rotors and calipers and slap them on. There's nothing to attach them to.

Or just check the links above. That's a good place to start for converting the rears to discs

Monday, February 13, 2006 9:53 PM
I have done the Neon swap and OMFG the bracking is soo much better. It's not just able to stop faster but it just does it better. When you are under hard braking in a stock J it will dive to the front, after the swap my car stops flat, no dive, even uder the hardest brakcing. It is just perfectly flat, its so awesome. Its hard work but worth it. I've even machined out a few brackets for people so hit me up if you need them. Once you get the brackets It should only take a good saturday and your done with the install.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search