KYB GR-2 STRUTS ANYONE USE THEM? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
KYB GR-2 STRUTS ANYONE USE THEM?
Friday, February 10, 2006 3:09 AM
I went to the scrap yard yestarday and seen a 98' z24 sitting there with KYB GR-2 all aroung with red springs no rims/tires and sloted discs i had a $100 on me and knew that i needed aleast 2 struts. Well turns out i got all four at $90 bucks with the springs! they look new. No dirt/rust etc I know i got a deal i haven't put them on yet. Can anyone tell me if there worth putting on are selling them #2 does anyone know what the red springs are? are why there red ..just for show are color coded for drop size? thanks ..

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg

Re: KYB GR-2 STRUTS ANYONE USE THEM?
Friday, February 10, 2006 4:15 AM
gr2 are oem replacements so whatever spring is on them that isnt oem is going to blow those struts. probably a reason why the car is at a yard right now

Friday, February 10, 2006 4:18 AM
i used em for a while before i knew better......rode great....for about 2 months, then they blew, and the car rode like ass...and i didn't even drive the car hard or anything, they just blew....so i got some AGX struts and have had no problems

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Friday, February 10, 2006 7:15 AM
Yeah. BD98 is probably right. Probably used them with B+Gs (those are red), they blew, couldn't keep control of the car cause it bounced so much, and there it sits now.

They could be good still though. $90 for all four would be a OK price.

Friday, February 10, 2006 7:53 AM
meh...see now i donno what everyones talking about here. i have gr2s...yea they arn' ment for lowered cars but i got em used with pro-kit springs the pervious owner had them for about a year shortly after i swiched to goldlines and i was rding all summer untill november when i put my car away...they ain't blowen yet, but it sure is a bumpy ride.

Friday, February 10, 2006 8:29 AM
certsfire wrote:meh...see now i donno what everyones talking about here. i have gr2s...yea they arn' ment for lowered cars but i got em used with pro-kit springs the pervious owner had them for about a year shortly after i swiched to goldlines and i was rding all summer untill november when i put my car away...they ain't blowen yet, but it sure is a bumpy ride.

i bet their blown

Friday, February 10, 2006 9:10 AM
bumpy/bouncy ride = blown.
Blown does not necessarily mean Spurting hydraulic fluid, it just means they don't work correctly any more.

Friday, February 10, 2006 9:19 AM
I have the GR2's on stock springs. They are good struts, but I would definately NOT trust them with a lowering or stiffer spring. The feel slightly better than stock shocks. I similar (noticable) gains with the front and rear strut bars.

For OEM, I would pick them over stock struts. For a lowering application strut they would be no good. I'm sure they would bounce, and blow.

certsfire wrote:meh...see now i donno what everyones talking about here. i have gr2s...yea they arn' ment for lowered cars but i got em used with pro-kit springs the pervious owner had them for about a year shortly after i swiched to goldlines and i was rding all summer untill november when i put my car away...they ain't blowen yet, but it sure is a bumpy ride.

^^^^See, there are tons of posts from people who have GR2's with lowering springs, and they bounce like mad. Most don't even realise that there is a problem a poor suspension setup like that. Then they have an accident, or the GR2's blow, and they get a proper strut that can handle a drop. IE koni, dspec, or AGX.

Friday, February 10, 2006 10:45 AM
the red spring may be eibach lowering springs on that car. Prokit or sportline i am not sure. you could buy them and use them or sell them. i know my old car when it got totaled has Eibach prokit springs on it.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:27 AM
also skunk2 uses a red spring for their coilovers but the spring also says skunk2 on it

Friday, February 10, 2006 3:28 PM
if the GR2's blow you won't see a leak, because theyre gas right? i just knew mine were bad judging off of the ride quality

Hail Satan

Friday, February 10, 2006 3:37 PM
C.T.S wrote:bumpy/bouncy ride = blown.
Blown does not necessarily mean Spurting hydraulic fluid, it just means they don't work correctly any more.

We should sticky this.

My buddy is riding around on blown struts, bouncy as hell, unsafe as hell too, that's why we never go with him.

But people think that since their car still drives and it's a bit bouncy it's all good. NO!!!

Friday, February 10, 2006 3:59 PM
I have GR2s on Ground Controls right now. Is the ride great? NO Is the strut blown? NO They don't bounce. It is just really stiff. Thy have lasted for a long time (70K thus far) and I am looking at getting anohter set (was gonna get some yellows, but I would have to wait on those for a while and struts are needed ASAP, plus i'm not engaged and moving out, needing more money). Seriously, just don't drive like an ass and you'll be fine. When you see something in the road, like a pothole or such, STAY AWAY FROM IT!!! Speedbumps equal slowbumps, etc.... Everyone on this site will tell you that it doesn't work and maybe I just got lucky. But I haven't had any trouble thus far and that's why I am going to buy another pair of GR2 struts for the front. I'm sure that I will be flamed for this.

I'll have a sig someday..............
Friday, February 10, 2006 6:26 PM
70K and not blown i am sorry but i have to do this
I can gurantee that they are blown weather you want to believe it or not. I have ground control and Koni's and small pot holes i don't have to slow down for and speed bumps some i don't have to go slow over. That show the difference in having GR2's on your car. If you have to stay away from pot holes then they are not doing their job. Major pothole you would have to watch out for. I have hit a few major ones in my car and no problem just because i was not looking.
Not trying to flame you but have you driven in a cav with Ground Controla and Koni's?

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:50 AM
i have been riding on my GR2s with sportlines for almost 2 years now, i had intended to buy some koni yellows when these eventually wore out but they have yet to blow. I have since switched out my fronts back to OEM so my wheels can fit and the fronts were still fine when i removed them, they still compressed fine. Is it stiff? YES... Would i recommend them for a drop? No... Does this mean they will blow if they are lowered? No... eventually they probably have a greater chance to blow than either yellows, reds, dspecs, agxs or tiens. But they will work... just think of them as temporarys, i would start saving for a shock/strut combo that is meant for a drop.

The springs could be Sportlines, usually springs have the companies name on them.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:58 AM
Look people. Blowing is NOT about fluid spilling everywhere. It's about not controlling the spring.

If I give a 100lb sack of potatoes to a 5'9" 120lb girl, she not going to be able to cary it.
I on the other hand, could throw it over my should and walk around with it.

That's what your GR2 springs feel like when they're lowered (the little girl). They can not hold the springs back from bouncing or doing whatever it wants. They never could. Weather they're leaking fluid or not is irrevelant. To finish the analogy, Koni's or D-Specs are like a heavyweight lifter.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:46 PM
i have the kyb gr2s i have had no problems na d i dont find them bad at all, i like the way they feel/ controll, throw them on if you dont like them sell them, its easy to install
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:58 PM
ive given up on this forum. the lack of informantion that is being thrown around is horrible. if you wanna lower on gr2 than go head. it seems like someone just waits for that one person to come in here and say yea they will work w/ coilovers and then they go head and do it

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:09 PM
people just want the answer they want to hear, not the truth.

but still, just because im curious now.......when the gr2's or any gas strut blows, you won't see a leak because theyre gas struts.....right?? or am i way off track

Hail Satan

Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:37 PM
mikec2003 wrote:if the GR2's blow you won't see a leak, because theyre gas right? i just knew mine were bad judging off of the ride quality

Q: A service technician said my struts had failed and were leaking oil; however, my vehicle has gas charged struts. Could this be true?
A. Yes, gas charged shocks / struts contain the same amount of oil as standard hydraulic units do. Gas pressure is added to the unit in order to control a condition referred to as "shock fade," which occurs when the oil in a shock or strut foams due to agitation, excessive heat, and low pressure areas which develop behind the piston (aeration). The gas pressure compresses air bubbles trapped within the oil until they are so small that they do not affect the shock's performance. This allows the unit to ride better and to perform more consistently.

this was taken from monroe

Just because struts are not leaking does not mean that they are fine. There can be a internal leak, because most modern shock absorbers (Including the GR2's) utilize a twin (dual) tube construction. Thus in order to work properly the inner of the two tubes (working chamber) should stay completely filled with oil. The outer (reserve) tube contains an oil reserve along with air or a pressurized gas. If the unit is damaged, the air or gas in the outer chamber can enter the inner working chamber, resulting in poor damping performance. Because struts like the GR2 are made as stock replacement, and NOT ment for lowering, they are prone to internal damage (because of abuse, or using springs other than oem) which would cause "bouncyness", loss of control, shorter life span, exc.

The vibration that comes from the "bouncyness" is passed throughout the car. It goes through the strut mount, bearings, cv axles, joints, exc. This can cause quite abit of premature wear on other drivetrain parts.

That is why I feel that it is important to use "proper" performance struts when changing springs to something other than oem.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:16 PM
listen to what tupac has to say below

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:34 PM
^^^WOW

-Brandon

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:56 PM
ahh, ok, that answers that......ok, so a gas strut may or may not leak oil....good to know

Hail Satan

Monday, February 13, 2006 9:09 PM
That applies to all struts and shocks, gas charged or not.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:27 AM
LOL aghhhh yeah well i got them installed today None were blown. We checked the springs. There's no drop in them. And theres no name on the springs? The overall ride i'd say is good/better ...no wooo hooo's it's like having beans with your toast. It's still toast....But hey thank you everyone. i learned alittle more then i knew a week ago thanks 4 the help!!!!

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search