Best Quality Ride Setup For J - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best Quality Ride Setup For J
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:58 AM
whats some things i can buy to tighten and make my cars ride better. im wanting it to be very smooth and not ride like a cavalier does.

im not sure im asking the right question so ill try again... what would i need to get to improve the handling and ride quality of the car.... there we go thats it.

anyway i was think lowering spring with struts... front and rear strut bars. sway bars and subframe brace.. anything else im missing..

JBO'S Mr. 64.....

Re: Best Quality Ride Setup For J
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:04 AM
Roll cage

(Insert really cool picture of my car with some catchy name or slogan here)
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:18 AM
^ where can i get roll cage for j

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:45 AM
Mr.64 (Shaune Drake) wrote:whats some things i can buy to tighten and make my cars ride better. im wanting it to be very smooth and not ride like a cavalier does.

im not sure im asking the right question so ill try again... what would i need to get to improve the handling and ride quality of the car.... there we go thats it.

anyway i was think lowering spring with struts... front and rear strut bars. sway bars and subframe brace.. anything else im missing..

First off, if you havn't upgraded your tires and rims do that first. At minimum get a 16" wheel with some 225 width tires. This will make the BIGGEST difference. 17's are a little sportier (majority use these), and 18+ are extreme and not reccomended for a daily driver if a smooth ride is desired if you want as big as possible some J's have gotten 20's to fit, but if your performance oriented you'll realize they are WAY TO HEAVY.

quality as in a luxury type ride
-some nice quality shocks
KYB GR2's possibly. If you have 15" rims go to a 16" or 17".

-quality as in a corner carver
Coilovers (Tein, Gravana, Ground Control)
or Lowering Springs (H&R, Pro-kit, Sportline)
*lowering springs will need shocks, D-spec, AGX(only for H&R and pro-kit), or Koni Yellows are all great choices.
*ground control coilovers will require koni-yellow struts
16-17" rims
Rear swaybar, and front and rear strut tower bars
poly end-links if you have front bar, if not get a front bar, and poly control arm bushings.

-quality as in I can stiffen it up a little but still have a smooth ride.
AGX, Koni-yellow, or D-spec struts will all provide this.

The best option as always is to meet up with some local J's and ask for a ride in their car, if you find a setup you particulary like, go with that.

My suspension is a bit stiff for the average person, but it handles incredibly. I'm willing to sacrifice some of my ride quality for better handling, and you have to realize that their is always sacrifice. Suspension is also a complete System, changing one part will affect how the other parts operate.

Reccomended Order.
1.) Tires and wheels
2.) strut tower braces
3.) Shocks/struts
4.) lowering springs or coilovers
5.) sway bars rear if you already have a front, otherwise both
6.) control arm bushings and poly end-links for the front if your car came with a front bar stock.

Steps 3 and 4 can be combined.

Step 3 and 4 can be completly thrown out if you get a complete coilover system like Tein, Gravana, or RKsports.

If you need more info I suggest reading the Suspension FAQ put together by EVENT a.k.a ART a.k.a. "resident suspension guru". It lists parts, brand names and what the different parts do.

-Chris

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:44 AM
^^hey thanks a bunch for all that info... its exactly what i was looking for.

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:42 AM
I agree with Rascal too.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search