coilovers .vs. lowering springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coilovers .vs. lowering springs
Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:43 PM
ok..i dont have the money for an air ride set up tho i wish i did...so i have some questions- how are ground control coilvers? or should i go with eibach lowering springs?

sry..kinda new to the suspension area

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.

Re: coilovers .vs. lowering springs
Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:04 PM
Monday, February 06, 2006 9:41 AM
yeah..i shoulda read that first...sry

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Monday, February 06, 2006 10:19 AM
Reading the FAQ is a good idea, but it still won't really tell you everything you need to consider. Let me help you out with this. If you're even considering the Ground control coilovers, at Gravana they sell for about $400. Then you need to buy the dampers. You'll need either Tokiko D-Specs or Koni Yellows, and those will cost another $400-$600 depending on where you get them. That's $800-$1000 you just spent on your setup. You'll get about a 2.5"-3" drop from the GC sleeve kit I believe. For about the same cost you can get Tein Basics as a complete kit. At Gravana it sells for $879 and gives 2.5" of drop, but it's a matched set of springs/dampers, assembled and ready to install. And lucky for you, it doesn't require new upper spring seats (for '99 and earlier it does). If you want standard lowering springs, Eibach Sportlines will give the best drop at 1.7" and 2.3", and again, will require Koni Yellows or Tokiko D-Specs. Those springs will cost $200-$269, again, depending on the dealer and specials, but they typically run in the $250 range so again, you'll spend between $600 and $800 to complete your setup.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Monday, February 06, 2006 10:31 AM
Johnathan (Der Schlafwanderer) wrote:Reading the FAQ is a good idea, but it still won't really tell you everything you need to consider. Let me help you out with this. If you're even considering the Ground control coilovers, at Gravana they sell for about $400. Then you need to buy the dampers. You'll need either Tokiko D-Specs or Koni Yellows, and those will cost another $400-$600 depending on where you get them. That's $800-$1000 you just spent on your setup. You'll get about a 2.5"-3" drop from the GC sleeve kit I believe. For about the same cost you can get Tein Basics as a complete kit. At Gravana it sells for $879 and gives 2.5" of drop, but it's a matched set of springs/dampers, assembled and ready to install. And lucky for you, it doesn't require new upper spring seats (for '99 and earlier it does). If you want standard lowering springs, Eibach Sportlines will give the best drop at 1.7" and 2.3", and again, will require Koni Yellows or Tokiko D-Specs. Those springs will cost $200-$269, again, depending on the dealer and specials, but they typically run in the $250 range so again, you'll spend between $600 and $800 to complete your setup.

actually pretty much everything you;ve said about struts and coilovers IS covered in the FAQ i wrote at the top of the page. i updated it this year....

also gave avg prices as well.

Monday, February 06, 2006 10:39 AM
Oops, my bad brother. Been a while since I read through it. But people don't always put two and two together, you know? Some people think that it's easier to buy the springs, save up, buy the dampers, and they're golden. But by the time they've done that, they could have saved for the full kit and be done with it. That's really the point I'm making I guess.

Monday, February 06, 2006 10:49 AM
this is all personal perfenece. the coil part can get more costly than the spring part since you need better struts if you go w/ coils. its really up to you what you wanna do

Monday, February 06, 2006 11:08 AM
Johnathan (Der Schlafwanderer) wrote:Oops, my bad brother. Been a while since I read through it. But people don't always put two and two together, you know? Some people think that it's easier to buy the springs, save up, buy the dampers, and they're golden. But by the time they've done that, they could have saved for the full kit and be done with it. That's really the point I'm making I guess.

def agreed, def.

also i dig the name in parentheses... but did you mean "Schlafwandler" as in sleep walker? i havent heard that term in a hot NY minute.

Monday, February 06, 2006 11:27 AM
Sleepwalker, yes. It's hard to translate. "Schlafwandler" is "sleep transducer" in its direct translation. "Schlafwanderer" doesn't have a direct English translation, but if you translate "Sleep walker" to German, that's how it translates. It's weird, I know.

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:13 PM
so tein basics..i think thats what ima go with..2.5" isnt bad

i wish i had the money for an air ride setup

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Monday, February 06, 2006 12:40 PM
yea the tein basics are a really good kit. it comes w/ everything you need so all you have to do is swap out the corner and put in the teins and your good to go (well besides setting the height and damping but thats all personal preference)

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:42 PM
For the money, to get really low, that's the best bet. There are other kits that can go all the way up to a 4" drop, but they're a few hundred dollars more. 3" is about as low as you can safely drop and still drive on the street. Lower than that and you start to experience other clearance issues.

Monday, February 06, 2006 2:52 PM
C.T.S wrote:Read this.

Copy Cat!!!

Monday, February 06, 2006 2:52 PM
C.T.S wrote:Read this.

Copy Cat!!!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 4:23 PM
What about the Tein Super Streets, how much are they and are they any better for a daily driven 2000 Z24?

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 4:34 PM
tein ss are suppose to be great. very price. i think their 1500 for the set but worth it

Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:43 PM
I just went to SportCompactOnly.com and ordered a set with their financing, I'm just waiting for final financing approval. It's sure easier to pay a little at a time as opposed to all at once, man I can't wait.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:50 PM
Dale Young wrote:I just went to SportCompactOnly.com and ordered a set with their financing, I'm just waiting for final financing approval. It's sure easier to pay a little at a time as opposed to all at once, man I can't wait.

Doh...

Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:08 PM
Jason: oops. Totally unintentional.
Dale: Hmm. Get them now, pay intrest. OR Wait a few months, bank intrest pays me, don't have to worry about payments, satisfaction of owning from the second I get them... Yeah. This is part of the culture problem the US has.....

Also: 2" is about the lowest you can ride around on and expect the suspension to hold up. You start getting down to 2.5 or lower and you can expect to replace call joints, cv joints, mounts, etc on the maintainence schedule. And when you're that low you need a camber kit or to slot the struts. My personal recommendation: Slam the show car, not the daily driver.

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:20 AM
The TIEN setup is awesome, it has an electronically controlled dampening system. Which means you can adjust the height and stiffness from inside your car. But this system is $1500, like stated above. If you want adjustable, get coilovers. Only downside is they are more expensive and ride rougher. I got lucky and got a set of Ground Control Coilovers and Koni Red Struts for $550 installed. I am very satisfied with them, but they do ride rough. You get used to it though.

Whoever said that nothing is impossible has never tried to slam a revolving door.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search