JDM? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
JDM?
Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:14 PM
Anybody have experiance with these coil overs?

Re: JDM?
Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:25 AM
JDM means Japanese Domestic Market... They are probably not the brand name but a marketing phrase for the seller... I'm going to guess Ebay... right??

I'll say what most people will tell you... if you are going to do coil overs buy a decent set and spend the money to get them. Ground Control is probably your best bet. The $40 sets are CRAP and waste of money.

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:11 AM
if you're going to buy TRUE coilovers, look at the Tein setup, the RK Sport setup, and the ones offered by gravanatuning.com.
these are full replacements for the stock setup, not just some stock spring replacement over the stock struts/shocks.
you're going to spend some money on these, but these are a lot safer than those ebay setups.
scrimping on your suspension setup is very risky, and can have a LOT of negative side effects. if you don't have the cash for a decent setup, save your money, and check out the classifieds section here.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:02 AM
Z24 FReQ (Jarett) wrote:if you're going to buy TRUE coilovers, look at the Tein setup, the RK Sport setup, and the ones offered by gravanatuning.com.
these are full replacements for the stock setup, not just some stock spring replacement over the stock struts/shocks.
you're going to spend some money on these, but these are a lot safer than those ebay setups.
scrimping on your suspension setup is very risky, and can have a LOT of negative side effects. if you don't have the cash for a decent setup, save your money, and check out the classifieds section here.

thats your definition of true coilovers? the ones you mentions (tein basics, tein ss, rk,) those are full replacements. theres no such thing as true coilovers. theres good and bad, ie ground control vs dropzone

Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:50 AM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]
Z24 FReQ (Jarett) wrote:if you're going to buy TRUE coilovers, look at the Tein setup, the RK Sport setup, and the ones offered by gravanatuning.com.

thats your definition of true coilovers? the ones you mentions (tein basics, tein ss, rk,) those are full replacements. theres no such thing as true coilovers. theres good and bad, ie ground control vs dropzone

listen to this guy. he's definitely got more experience with this stuff.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:07 PM
Any coilover's you find for less than $100 are trash or hot. Anything less than ~$250 are junk. Expect to pay at least $250 for a coilover setup, then put them on $550 worth of struts.

If you've got stock now, expect to pay about $800 or more for a good coilover setup with struts. There are deals to be had out there for less, but not that much less.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:15 PM
Full "true" coilovers = you can adjust where the strut meets the knuckle AS WELL AS the coller where the spring perch is.

Regular coilover = Only an adjustable spring perch.

Both are better than regular prings, but a full coilover system you will never have to worry about bottoming out the struts. Tein makes great kits, as well as ground control. I don't know what fully adjustable kits are available for our cars, I think Gravana has one. It's best to get a matching strut/spring package so they're designed to work together.

And as the first reply stated, JDM isn't a brand, anything that is "JDM" is straight from Japan. All the import guys want JDM parts (mostly just stock parts from the Japanese versions of their cars that look way better than our USDM [United States Domestic Market] parts.).

There's also EDM, ADM, and CDM (euro, austrailian, and canadian) and I'm sure others... you just tack a country with a unique feature to it's equivilant of our cars (maybe MDM? Mexican?).

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:19 PM
To clarify my post:

Adjusting the coller on a Regular OR Full coilover set will affect how much travel the strut piston has. If you adjust the strut-to-knuckle mounting position you won't affect that travel at all.

Let me find a picture of a full soil-over set...

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:32 PM
dude are you making this up as you go or what? Your on the right track but WAY off

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:02 PM
I helped my friend setup his 240SX... I know what I'm talking about but if I worded something wrong you're probably just not used to how I worded it.

I need pictures to explain...

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:13 PM
A coilover is a spring with an adjustable height but constant spring rate. There are some twin rate coilovers like the RKs where you can adjust two springs with two rates for different conditions at different levels of compression.
A full true coil-over set-up is not something where you can adjust the level of the knuckle mount. A full coil-over set-up threads the strut so the perch is adjutable rather than sitting on set perch of a normal strut and making the height of the spring adjustable independantly.
What you are talking about with the adjustable strut sleeve length would just be a coilover set-up with more features... a 240sx is a drift car so more products are available for it suspension-wise.

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:40 PM
Here is RK's package (H&R Springs and their own Perches+Bearings):

You put these on aftermarket struts, Koni Yellows or Tokico D-Specs:

(Ignore the springs in the Tokico D-Specs picture!)
The other POPULAR and extremely high quality coilovers are Ground Control (or GC):

They use Eibach Springs with their own perches and bearings.

OR

You can get a full kit like these by RK, Gravana, and Tien respectively:

The RKs are height adjustable only. No dampening adjustment.
The Gravana's are both height and dampening adjustable.
The Teins are also both height and dampening adjustable, the SSs are shown.
(Tein makes two different kits too, the basics and the ss)
None of these are spring rate adjustable (unless you get different springs of course).

Read the FAQ for more info........ Rob, I think you should read it too.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:56 AM
pwned.

I understand now though. I used wrong wording >.<

Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:23 PM
so ground controlls are good i am thinking of buying some

2003 Sunfire 2.2L Ecotec
5 speed,K&N Filter,Stainless Free Flow Muffler,2" Lowering Springs,17" Wheels.
Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:10 PM
Bryce Parent wrote:so ground controlls are good i am thinking of buying some

But you need struts with them!! Don't cheap out and not get struts!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search