Suspension Almost Complete - Couple Q's? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Suspension Almost Complete - Couple Q's?
Friday, February 03, 2006 11:04 AM
Ok I have everything I need I think to complete my setup for pre-assebbly for easy installation.

1.)Eibach Pro-kit
2.)KYB AGX's
3.)Shields
4.)Bump Stops
5.)I will be picking up new strut mounts all the way around.

But here part one to my question. WHAT!! the heck is #15 in GM's diagram of the rear suspension? See picture below

Is it some sort of spacer? Does my new setup require this? I thought I only needed bumpstops and shields?

Also my other question is.
I was at the parts store and took a look at the gabriel front and rear strut mounts. I was talking to the parts guy. It comes with the mount/bearing/insolator all in one unit. It is all together. But the insolator is plastic. He said that you just lay the spring right up against it. I thought it was rubber?

Also why are there no insolators on the rear. When looking at the rear mount it is rubber where the spring sits (top). I understand that point. But what about the bottom on the rear? that would be spring on metal.

I'm trying to do this right the first time. I dont want to have to deal with squeeks and clunks and all that jazz.

Any help would be appriciated. Also anyone with experience with gabriel mounts.

Regards,

Jarid

Re: Suspension Almost Complete - Couple Q's?
Friday, February 03, 2006 11:50 AM
I checked my chiltons disk, but it doesnt show it. Sorry.

Friday, February 03, 2006 12:19 PM
Does it attach the top of the dust shield to the bottom of the mount?

Friday, February 03, 2006 1:18 PM
I was told by the GM parts guy that it is a spacer. I guess I assume that it goes below the bumpstop on the strut shaft. That is what it looks like anyway. Some kind of spacer. Is anyone familiar with this?
Friday, February 03, 2006 1:40 PM
It's the metal hat attached to the top of the shield. It's quite hard to separate from the shield. You have to take it off for GC coilovers, check out the installation for those and you'll see.

Friday, February 03, 2006 5:45 PM
its the plastic a the top of the strut usually grey.

Friday, February 03, 2006 6:37 PM
i think that is the metal washer or something like that. if its what i think it is, then it goes on top of the bump stop, #13. i think its what holds the bump stop there because on one of my struts they were attached, and on another they were separate.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:30 PM
So it goes on top of the shield just below the mount? I thought I had all the parts I needed for installation. maybe not eh? b/c this part isnt part of the front suspension.

I have listed my parts above. Does anyone have this part installed? B/c I was going to do pre-assembly before hand like I said of the front/rears.

Maybe I should disassemble my stock stuff to take a look at how it goes together. But I didnt really want to do that just incase maybe, just maybe if I were to get rid of the car I would install the stock hardware all assembled back into the car before I got rid of it.

Here is how I was going to do the pre-install.

FRONT
-Put trimmed bump stop on shaft.
-Put shield over bump stop.
-Put spring in place. Install bottom insolator on bottom of spring
-Put top insolator on spring.
-Put strut mount on
-put KYB spacer on and provided nut
-torque to spec.

REAR
-Put spring in place. (no insolator required for rear pon top/bottom)
-Put rear strut mount on
-put KYB spacer on and provided nut (havent opened my rear strut box's yet to see if there is a KYB spacer for the rear, as far as I know there isnt one)
-torque to spec.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Jarid
Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:38 PM
now that you point it out, then i believe that it is not what i thought it was. if its supposed to be on top of the shield, then i have no idea what it is. maybe you want to take apart one of the rears to check.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 6:23 PM
REAR
there should be a plastic insulator that goes on the strut body itself
put on mystery part #15 its a metal washer with a beveled edge
push bump-stop up into the dust shield
-Put spring in place. (no insulator required for rear on top/bottom)
-Put rear strut mount on
-put KYB spacer on and provided nut (haven't opened my rear strut box's yet to see if there is a KYB spacer for the rear, as far as I know there isn't one)
-torque to spec.

reference, the part your don't see is a metal washer with a beveled edge that goes above the bump-stop and under the dust shield. its what keeps your dust shield from falling done.

Monday, February 06, 2006 7:24 AM
Damm This is getting confusing. I'll have to check out some of the guides to maybe see what I'm missing.

Anyone else have any info? This is my first time doing struts and like I mentioned I want to do it right the first time.

Regards,

Monday, February 06, 2006 2:43 PM
Koni install w/ Eibachs

Brad is cool in the garage section

everything you need to know.

if all else fails disassemble your stock stuff and remember the order, its really easy.

pm me if you have any questions

Monday, February 06, 2006 4:27 PM
doh!! i know what it is the beveled washer isn't even listed in the diagram, its a galvanized cap that goes on the top of the dust boot.

so the order should go like this

(possable) plastic cap on strut body at the shaft.

bumpstop

beveled washer that rests near teh top of the strut

dust boot w/ the galvanised cap

spring

strut mount

washer and nut

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search