clunk and wa wa wa - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clunk and wa wa wa
Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:20 PM
Hi all I have a feeling that my one or more balljoints are bad. I constantly feel a.... well... wa wa wa feeling in the floor board as I drive it increases as I speed up and slows when I slow. also if I am fully cranked turning It isnt smooth it kinda feels like a wobble
(I think I notice it more with the wheels cranked and reversing) lastly I also have a loud clunk when I reverse and now I notice it if I go into a turn fast Im wondering if this could be somethng with the shocks moving. I ordered new motor mounts tonight so we'll see if that helps anything but any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks

2001 chevy cavy z24... Aem intake fed by hood scoop.. and exhaust... hopefully more to come soon

Re: clunk and wa wa wa
Friday, February 03, 2006 6:39 AM
Sounds like a strut mount. Could be the ball joint, but they don't allow much movement when they're bad (unless they totally fail, then your wheel basically falls off). How are the tires? Could be tread separation.

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:23 AM
Yeah sometimes Im kinda afraid that the tire is going to fall off. maybe I should jack the car up and pull on the tire to see if i have movement in any direction. Tire tread is still good Do you know what I can check for to see if it is a strut mount?

2001 chevy cavy z24... Aem intake fed by hood scoop.. and exhaust... hopefully more to come soon
Friday, February 03, 2006 8:02 AM
You pretty much have to take the mount out to check it. Jacking your car up and taking a look around is a good first step.

Friday, February 03, 2006 8:07 AM
did you think about th wheel bearings ?

Friday, February 03, 2006 8:08 AM
if your getting awa wa sounda and vibration in the floor board your lookign at wheel bearings my man..buy 2 new ones and put them in very easy about a 1 hr job...as for the clunk that is prolly strut mounts as well..phil
Friday, February 03, 2006 9:50 AM
Friday, February 03, 2006 12:27 PM
agreed with the others

wheel bearings

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:02 AM
OK so I dont know why it took me so long to correct my own error but while driving to school today I figured out that its not a wa wa wa sound its prolly better to describe it a a soft thud thud thud feeling in the floor board and it speeds up and slows down as I drive faster or slower.

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:22 AM
Yeah.. That sounds more like a really bad wheel bearing.

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:55 PM
Blah! Thats what I figured. It would be something that I never had to deal with before... Do you know any good places for a walk through on how to replace

Monday, February 06, 2006 7:36 PM
get a haynes manual

Monday, February 06, 2006 7:46 PM
It's fairly easy with the right tools. Key words being the "right tools".

1. Jack up car. Take wheel off.
2. Put pin (screwdriver) through caliper into rotor so it will not turn.
3. Use 28mm (or is is 26mm?) socket to remove hub nut.
4. Remove brake caliper and rotor.
5. Use T50 torques driver to remove 4 bolts holding hub on.
6. Remove hub, usually rusted in place, so grab a hammer. Don't beat on the axle shaft, a few taps may be necessary to dislodge it, but you can damage it hammering on it too hard)
7. Put new hub in place.
8. Reattach the T50 bolts.
9. Put the brake rotor and caliper back on.
10. Drift pin again. Put the axle nut back on to 180ft-lbs torque.
11. Put wheel on, lower car. Tada!

Monday, February 06, 2006 7:48 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search