Washers/Spacers (needed)? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Washers/Spacers (needed)?
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:08 PM
I did a post on here last year about my D-spec w/ B+G springs installation........
With the front struts and strut mount on, you can push on top of the top strut mount plate and it will move down, w/ springs compressed...........Not good right???

So, added washer/spacer and solved the problem................
But I remember ( Funky Bottoms (Event) ) said that it wasn't needed, is this true???
Would that also raise the ride a liitle bit???

Re: Washers/Spacers (needed)?
Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:07 AM
i had to use 2 pretty thick washers on my fronts. rode beautiful after i put those in

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:04 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

The strut rod should be solidly attached to the strut mount. There can be no play between the two. If there is play, then you made need some spacers or something. I know this is a requirement on the Koni Yellow's since the threads end before the mount is tight against the rod.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:16 PM
^^^thats the same with the tokicos. the threads dont come down to the top of the mount, so the washers are needed to fill the gap and allow to tighten down. but for some reason, some people have said they didnt need them. but i know i did on mine.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:29 PM
An easy way to tell is to tighten down the strut mount without the spring on. If there's any play at all, then you need to shore it up with some spacers. It should be clamped tight to the strut rod.

If people are tightening them down with preloaded springs or something, the spring may hold the mount firmly enough that they don't realize there's any play there. They'll find out soon enough though when they trash the strut rod over time! I've seen Koni Yellows with the threads pretty much completely smoothed out where it was moving around in the mount.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:09 PM
That's what I thought.....thxz.
Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:16 PM
00+ Mounts need washers. 99- mounts do not. KYB and Tokico struts need them.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:20 PM
I found that another way to avoid washers is to buy new KYB strut mounts. I have Tokico D specs and had to use washers the first time. I won't say why I had to replace one side (horror story) but I replaced the mounts on both sides and no longer needed spacers. Just some food for thought if someone has a little extra money to spend.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"
Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:27 PM
KYB only makes the 99- style mounts. That's why. They're completely interchangable as long as you replace the whole mount.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:36 PM
sorry to bring this one back, but I'm trying to do as much research as I can. I should hopefully have my D-specs tomorrow.
I have an '02 Z. do the front mounts need the washers? or do the rears as well? about how thick should the washers be? I'm imagining they go in between the nut and the strut mount.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:47 PM
you will probably need washes. i personally had to put in 4 1/8 (approx) thick washers on either mount. i put mine between the mount and the nut (so you can see them from the top looking down on the mount. you do not need them on the rears. good luck man, enjoy the d-specs, they're great

Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:59 AM
thanks man. hopefully they'll go in on Saturday. I can't wait to get off the stockers, plus getting a fancy new key chain!

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:03 AM
that isnt true about the 00-05 mounts , not all require washers or spacers

it depends on if the factory used the spacer , or the nut with the spacer as part of the nut

my 00 had the seperate spacer , i had to take it out of my old mounts to put in the new ones

Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:45 AM
I had mine installed for me, is there a way to tell if they used a washer or not once theyre already in?

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:44 AM
the height of the nut , it will look like the nut is sitting on top of something

or it will look sunk into the mount

Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:06 PM
I didn't need a washer on mine must be the mounts.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:52 AM
i have a 98 will i need to shim for my tokico d specs?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search