Matching Coilovers and struts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Matching Coilovers and struts
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:41 PM
For starters yes i have read the FAQ multiple times. The FAQ says the Ground Control coilovers are best with Koni's. But on www.gravanatuning.com it says only for KYB struts. Are they the same? I was also looking at the RK sport kit with H&R springs, but it doesn't say what struts to use. Again at www.gravanatuning.com, Does this mean i could use any struts i want? Last, am i correct in assuming you can change the hight of the car with coilovers while they are on the car?

I know a lot of questions, but the only way to learn is to ask. Also could anyone with these set ups chime in with their strut choice and a review?

Thanks

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Re: Matching Coilovers and struts
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:51 PM
Forget about the Ground Control strut choice question. I was a dump ass and didn't open my eyes to see a different product made for the Koni struts. I do however have another question. I am pretty sure you can but i haven't read it anywhere. Can you adjust the Tokiko D spec struts while they are on the car? Just wondering cause the Yellow's you have to cut stuff and those are the only others i know of that allow adjust ability while on the car.

Thanks again for any positive input.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:56 PM
Ground controls and koni yellows are a REALLY GOOD / POPULAR combo.

Dont waste your time with KYBs and ANYTYPE of coilover, you will just blow them out.

Your best best would be the GC's and the koni's or if your looking for a complete bolt on coilover system ... may i suggest the Tein Basic Coilover set.
I have them on my car, nice firm ride, lowers the car ALOT , and handles like a dream. Plus install was less than an hour , and came with EVERYTHING needed to install.

Before:

After: ( Tein Basic Coils )

If you have any other questions ... let me know ...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:18 PM
Yea i saw the Tein Basic Coilover set, also called (Tein Basic Damper Kit - Drop = 2.5 Front & 2.4 Rear!)? Is the 2.5 and 2.4 the max or where it rides normally? This is my daily driver so i am looking for improved handling but something i could live with. I live in Oregon so i cant race half the year, even though i want to race all year round. From the description though that is what i was looking for. To answer your question yes i would prefer a complete bolt on kit. Thanks for the input, there is nothing on this set up in the FAQ. Where did u get them and for how much? And you would recommend them?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:24 PM
I got mine from Modacar.com , they were the cheapest at the time. 895 or somewhere around there.

On my setup the back is all the way down, and the front is set a little more then halfway.

The ride is considerably firmer , but not to the point where you dont want to drive. I would really recommend them. To go along with that, even though alot of people will go against me on this, but the camber becomes way off when you have them that low, so i bought an Eibach Camber kit (25$ or so ), threw that on and had it aligned. Cant complain at all.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:34 PM
Yea i was going to do the camber bolts anyway, everyone says you don't need them but what the harm in spending an extra $25 and giving your self the option of changing it if you need to. Plus you already have everything off and stuff so why not. Thanks a lot for the info. The only thing i am hesitant on is that this is the cheapest full coilover kit. But i am thinking thats because its max lowered hight is a full inch higher then the GC set up. Anyone want to comment? I think i am going to go with this set up so are there any other reviews of it?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:02 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Yea i was going to do the camber bolts anyway, everyone says you don't need them but what the harm in spending an extra $25 and giving your self the option of changing it if you need to. Plus you already have everything off and stuff so why not. Thanks a lot for the info. The only thing i am hesitant on is that this is the cheapest full coilover kit. But i am thinking thats because its max lowered hight is a full inch higher then the GC set up. Anyone want to comment? I think i am going to go with this set up so are there any other reviews of it?

Thanks

I dont know of many people who have the Tein Basic's but believe me they are low enough to look good and for daily driving. Ive scraped a couple of times.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:43 AM
If you're going for coilovers, don't waste the time getting separate dampers and the GC spring kit. By the time you're done, you'll already have spent the same as you would to get the Tein set, and the Tein dampers and springs on the Basic kit are matched so they work together as one unit. The only thing extra you need for the Tein is 2000 and up upper spring seats, if your car is 1999 or older. And the 2.5 / 2.4 is the max drop.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:29 PM
Thanks Johnathan and Jersey Kid. Yes the fact that the Tein kit was built together and that it comes with everything is a plus. I have a 2001 so the strut mount isnt an issue. And i dont plan on going lower then 2" anyway so that isnt a factor. Thanks for the imput and i hope to get the Tein Basic Kit soon. Paying for college and the clutch come first though.

Thanks all

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:50 PM
remeber just because a company make a coil over for KYB GR2 does not mean it is the right strut. They know they are cheap people out there and have to run a business and will sell what they want even thought it is not correct.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:45 PM
Glad I can help, bro. I'm in the same boat. I want the lowst drop I can get but for the money the Teins will get lower than anything else out there. When I looked at Eibach Sports, whch I like and considered, I then priced the Tokiko D Specs and Koni dampers. Not much cheaper than a Tein kit. Same with Gravana sleece kits.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 10:23 PM
I was doing some more research and i have been able to find camber bolts for the front but not the back. Are they needed or is it a different set up back there? If so how do i change the camber in the rear? Just wondering cause i want to do this all at once.

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:36 AM
Camber bolts aren't needed for our cars because the rear end is a solid twist-beam design. As far as alignment it's good and bad. Good because it's aligned at any ride height (in theory). Bad because you can't adjust the camber. In order to dial in negative camber you'll need an independent rear suspension conversion, which can be and has been done, but it's not easy and requires either making your own control arms or hacking up a car that has it and adapting the parts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search