Strut Bars, Sway Bars, Overkill??!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut Bars, Sway Bars, Overkill??!!
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:42 PM
So I have the tein SS, and other than that i have a stock 04 suspension. My next purchase is going to be either the eibach anti sway bars (front and rear), or a set of front and rear strut tower braces. So if i get the sway bars, would it be overkill to get strut tower braces, or if i get the strut tower braces is it overkil to get the sway bars. Thanks!

Re: Strut Bars, Sway Bars, Overkill??!!
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:44 PM
Nope, neither. Get both sway's and brace's. And get some struts. Read the FAQ to get some more answers.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:49 PM
I thought the Tein ss was coilover setup so why would he need struts?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:55 PM
Whoops, you're right! Got thrown off by the stock suspension, not thinking about it.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:18 PM
Dont forget to get a sunframe brace tooo.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:57 PM
jebus where is a subframe brace purchased from as well, will the suspension every be done?!?!?!
Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:38 AM
don't forget the a-arm bushings too

Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:52 AM
dont forget about IRS swap lol

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Thursday, January 26, 2006 4:18 AM
its ONLY overkill if you add more than what you are gonna actually tune. if the parts you are adding you know what they are doing, and what differences they make and you are reaching your desired effect...then its not overkill..

however if you are like some who simply add a crap load of parts, claim to feel a huge difference or for some, claim they felt no difference, and dont really know what the difference is supposed to be....then yea...its overkill

Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:23 AM
well simply put it i am used to cars that handle really really well, and well the J stock was like driving around in a target shoping cart. But you all convinced me, especially event to get the sway bars and the strut tower braces, @!#$ the IRS =P, what about these bushings now??
Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:49 AM
Hey, take that back! There's nothing wrong with a Target shopping cart, man. With a set of slicks, a blown 454 Rat and a narrowed Ford 9", some triple-chromoly, dual ratchet action super-duper hoorah full tilt boogie woogie coilover swaybars, oooh-wee! Ain't nobody gonna catch me in the quarter mile!

Seriously, man, a set of upper braces, front and rear sway, far from overkill. Hell, invest in some decent tires and you're all set. Cos even if you can't outrun em, you can always out drive em.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:30 PM
the bushings are poly replacements for the factory rubber a-arm bushings. they tighten up the front a bit and help to eliminate wheel hop.

as for being done... suspension can take some trial and error to get the car to handle the way you want. i'm still working on my suspension setup. i'm thinking about switching to the tein ss coilovers as i've heard great things about them and like the idea of being able to adjust damping from in the car with the edfc. i also, still want to pick up the addco front bar to compliment the rear.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:50 PM
Of the rear sway bar setups which is the most efective for the J-car, Eibach or the RK Sport one which bolts to the rear axle.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Friday, January 27, 2006 3:14 AM
Dale Young wrote:Of the rear sway bar setups which is the most efective for the J-car, Eibach or the RK Sport one which bolts to the rear axle.

any is effective. its not like one works and one doesnt. you simply have to know how much force you want the bar to put out, and thats personal driver preference.

between the rksport and eibach which are both 22mm rears, you just asked a pepsi vs coke question.

same stuff, different companies.

WS6, on bushing.... i would...and did add em. i figure if you start to stiffen up past strut braces, might as well. with everything else stiff and precise, the bushings would be the weak link...

Sunday, January 29, 2006 7:34 PM
hm thanks going to start placing orders, probably going with eibach as i hate rksport
Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:15 PM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:hm thanks going to start placing orders, probably going with eibach as i hate rksport

What do you have against RK? They were probably the first company to ever support our passion with these cars, and you're shunning them?

Just wondering...

Monday, January 30, 2006 12:14 AM
RK is overpriced

Monday, January 30, 2006 4:47 PM
Quote:

Dont forget to get a sunframe brace tooo.

Who makes these and where can i get them?

2nd Place is the first loser
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:26 AM
Brandon Hetrick wrote:
Quote:

Dont forget to get a subframe brace tooo.

Who makes these and where can i get them?

do a search...... but Ken 2.2 makes one, and so do I (just for the 5 speeds at this time)....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:48 AM
Heard many good things about the one Ken 2.2 makes.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:45 PM
for swaybar I wouldn't get anything less than the Addco rear bar. If you have the FE2 suspension, it compliments the front bar very well, especially if you replace the bushings on the front bar.

as others here have said, with each part you add or replace you'll gradually realize what parts actually NEED replacing and what to do next.

My next steps are control arm bushings, and front swaybar bushings. After I see how that feels I'll know where I need to go next.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search