Need more knowledge - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need more knowledge
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:13 AM
Well here is what I want to do. I just got new 17 inch rims and I still dont think the wheel well looks good so I want to drop it like an inch of maybe a little more. So im gonna get the eibach pro kit but what I want to know is if I just do lowering springs will it mess up my car. Alot of ppl say I have to do a whole susupension upgrade. So if I want to go with lowering springs what else do I need to get?

Re: Need more knowledge
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:21 AM
springs and new struts with the prokit i would reccomend kyb agx's
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:29 AM
At the very least you'll want good shocks and struts. Using lowering springs on stock dampers is a bad idea. You'll eventually blow them and you can end up getting hurt. But over an inch and you might as well go to a full coilover because even with aftermarket brands like Koni or KYB you run the same risk because they're only designed to handle an inch or 1.5 inch at most.

But if you're like me, you'll see the way the 1" or 1.5" drop looks, and want more. At that point, you'll want full coilovers. I say this because by the time you get good springs and a compatible set of struts that will even get you below 1.5" safely, you might very well end up spending 600 or even 800 on parts. I'm looking at the Tein Basic kit because for under $900, I can go from stock height down to 2.5" whenever I want, and it's a matched set so the springs and dampers are designed to work together.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:29 AM
An inch and you can probly get away with stock struts. Any more and you'll need new struts designed for lowering the car. I know some will say you need struts no matter what, but think of it this way. If the factory ones can handle 4 overweight people and being mashed down like that then whats an inch gonna hurt ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, January 16, 2006 11:09 AM
i dont knwo about u but i dont really like the way my car handles and bounces a little even brand new with four people in it which is why u would wantg the new struts but as always u can do it the right way or the cheap way its up to u
Monday, January 16, 2006 11:18 AM
My factory struts couldn't handle 1 season of autox. I wouldn't think they could handle 4 overweight people at all.

For the work your going to do to put the new springs on you might as well replace the struts.

Lowest Cost
KYB AGX + Pro-kit, H&R, or Suspension Techniques Springs

Middle Cost
Koni Yellows, or D-Specs + Pro-kit (yellows, not reccomended if your afraid of cutting up stock struts) + Sportlines, Pro-Kit, H&R, or Suspension Teschniques Springs.

High Cost.
Tein Basics

Highest Cost
Tein SuperStreets, Gravana Coilovers, or RKSport Pro-streets

-Chris

Monday, January 16, 2006 11:50 AM
Guys the overweight people was a joke. Please note the !

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:20 PM
I was really looking at getting the pro kit but what are the KYB AGX that Iam Rascal suggested to go with them?
Monday, January 16, 2006 12:20 PM
The difference between stock and lowering springs is not only the height. The rate is different also. Stock dampers are not capable of handling the increased rate. The ride height difference really isn't the issue that causes faster wear.

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:35 PM
Marcus The Cavy Racer wrote:I was really looking at getting the pro kit but what are the KYB AGX that Iam Rascal suggested to go with them?

AGX's are KYB's adjustable shocks. There also warrantied for up to 1.5 inches drop. A few other org member like myself have them.

4 levels of adjustment in the front 8 in the rear.

If you want to lower you'll still need lowering springs.

-Chris

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:43 PM
Do you have a link to wear I could look at them and maybe get a price quote?

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:48 PM
u can find them on ebay for like 380 or at gravanatuning.com or turbotechracing.com for a little more but from a reputable websight
Monday, January 16, 2006 2:02 PM
Marcus The Cavy Racer wrote:Do you have a link to wear I could look at them and maybe get a price quote?

Email us we have many pro kit and sport lines in stock, koni and KYB struts also.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search