TEIN SS Problems - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TEIN SS Problems
Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:44 PM
SO i installed all 4 tein SS, and have had them on for twodays, and all i can say is WOW. THe ride is pretty bloody rough, it is the stock drop that htey come wiht and i have treid dampenign at their softest and i still bounce around like crazy. IN a couple days i am taking it in to get aligned, do you think this will help. Its driving me crazy, certain times when the ride is really stiff it is nice and solid and smooth, othertimes i bounce around like crazy. Any help would be greatly apprecaited thanks!

Re: TEIN SS Problems
Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:52 PM
its probably because its too soft. suspensions w/ damping take a while to find the right setting. i know when i got my bags it took me forever to get a good setting and now since i switched kits, i needed to lower the car more so i had to do some more adjusting w/ the damping. just keep workin' w/ the damping and it should be fine. dont leave them on the softest setting though

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:58 PM
well even on tehir hardest or softest setting it is just insanly bumpy,
front is 14 rear is 16, and bloody hell im about to rip these off and put my stockers back on. but, then i take some turns and i swear i will never go back to stockers again, sigh
Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:07 PM
you cant put them all the way up or all the way down

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:10 PM
well for stiffest i mean all the way to the right, for softest i mean all the way to the left
Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:15 PM
i know but if you have them very stiff its going to give you the rough stiff ride since theres not going to be any travel. if their at the softest, theres gonna be too much travel and its gonna bouce everywhere. its really hard to determine where you need them. the best is to put them in the middle and drive around on some roads and just pull over and adjust accordingly (i dont know if they can be adjusted while on the car, this is what i do w/ the damping on my bags though)

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:17 PM
Theres a big difference between bouncing around and holding the road. When I installed my D-Specs, I was kinda like, but I gave it a few weeks and I started to get used to the firmer ride, which is probably what you are experiencing.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:20 PM
how can you tell teh differnce between bouncing around and holidng the road?? i mean the stiffness is not like my ws6 its ALOT ALOT ALOT stiffer, the point where on bumps, the car says on the road, but holy crap it hurts
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:28 PM
My SS's are an absoulute joy to ride on.

Try going full counterclockwise and then count out 8 clicks clockwise and see how it rides. Both front and rear.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:12 PM
Did you take pics before you installed them.
Remember we were concerned if you got the rigth stuff from they ebay seller.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:22 PM
well i did take a couple pictures, but the missus deleted the camera (doh), i can take pictures of them on the car, they are the right product, for a 95-05 cavalier, they fit perfect, everything. The build qualityu on them were top notch, and i sent tein the ID numbers to verify if they are legit or not.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:23 PM
did they have the strut mounts front and rear ??

and fstcav car rides nice

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:34 AM
yup everything mounted up just perfectly, got the car aligned today rides soooooooooooooo much nicer. Still sticking with 14-16 and going to be throwin on a rear sway bar, aynone got any recommendations??
Friday, January 13, 2006 10:37 AM
Chad owns me, I want the Teins.

Trade ? Muahahha.

Friday, January 13, 2006 11:18 AM
sure i will trade you =P
Friday, January 13, 2006 7:09 PM
How was the install? Was it straight from the box to the car? Or did you have to modify anything?

Friday, January 13, 2006 7:27 PM
direct boly on, dont even need a spring compressor, install went like this for people
1.) Jacked up rear driver side
2.) removed tire.
3.) wd40 the hell out of the bolt
4.) take it off
5.) go into trunk and undu the one boly
6.) go in the wheel well and take out the two bolts.
7.) Put new tein SS in, have friend hold up while i tightened the bolts.
8.) put old bolt back in the bottom
9.) put wheel on lower car etc etc REPEAT
front
1.) hack up car
2.) remove tire
3.) wd40 the hell out of the two bolts
4.) Get your giant friend whos diet conists of protein shakes, redlines, and does nothing but go to the gym, to get the two nuts off.
5.) hit the bolt with a hammer and htey come off
6.) open up the hood, remove the bolt, and the two nuts.
7.) Rip the old crap strut out.
8.) Put tein SS in, get another 8mm bolt from ace, and put the 3 nuts on.
9.) Put the two old bolts in, retighten nuts with friend from above.
10.) put tire on, lower etc

that was it, hardest part was us drinking heavily and doing the install =P
oh man 4 tein SS, 2 bottles of bicardi 151, 1 2liter rootbeer, 1 wombo combo, and about 6 hours later, and evyerhting was good.
Friday, January 13, 2006 8:50 PM
Sounds like fun....although I bet I could do the entire install single handedly in under an hour. I did my Tokico suspension in just under 2 hours, and that was with removing the strut mounts off the stock assemblies and installing them on the Tokico assemblies.
Ah well, its all good and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Friday, January 13, 2006 11:31 PM
Told ya the install was easy.

Definately need to pick mine up next week.
Stupid turnpike tolls.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, January 13, 2006 11:31 PM
let me repeat,
TWO BOTTELS OF 151 FOR TWO PEOPLE
sure we maybe alcoholics, but most of the time we sat their drinking and listneing to my new music waiting to sober up enough to do the next part
Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:10 AM
I went to the tokyo auto salon and they had a buttload of tien stuff there. I couldnt get a picture of them if i tried.. .too many damn people there. It has me thinking about purchasing a set up though...

Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:10 AM
the stock setting they have on em, is pretty damn low to be honest. i actually raised em up an additional 1.2 inches on the perch, and they ride a hell of alot better, not to mention they handle even far better.

the reason why you are bouncing around more than likely is that you are riding near or on the bump stops.

you gotta figure most cars have stuff in em....the cars when they test em usually doesnt have anything in em.

i run 6 front and 8 rear for daily driving, in and out of b-more city. only when dry and no city driving, do i bump above 12.... which shows in my tire wear.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search