funny sound from left front - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
funny sound from left front
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:12 AM
Ok, when i turn my wheel slightly to the left i get a sound that sounds like somethings rubbing something(metal sounding), and if i turn past that point, it stops and the same thing happens when i straighten the wheel...any ideas on what it might be?

Re: funny sound from left front
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:28 AM
sounds to me like a wheel bearing.

Ill make a sig someday
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:52 AM
It makes the sound while you're turning the wheel: Mount Bearing.
It makes the sound while moving and turned just that amount: Wheel Bearing.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:19 PM
any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:05 PM
New bearing.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:47 AM
i thought wheel bearing made a humming type noise not a grinding noise

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:44 AM
I've been having the same problem. It's the wheel bearing. In my case it's both of them. From inside the car it does sound like a hum. At speed it almost can be mistaken for the drone of the engine, so at first I didn't pay attention. But one day I got suspicious so I got the car up to about 70 or so, disengaged the clutch, let the rpms drop on the engine and the noise was still clear as day. And I played around with the steering a bit and sure enough, bad wheel bearing. I have a post on the maintanance forum. If you can get the assembly apart it's a pretty easy fix but I've been trying for days and mine won't budge.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:48 AM
Trying to take what appart? Taking the Hub out of the knuckle just takes a 2# sledge. The hub doesn't come apart.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:56 AM
Read my post in the maintanance forum. I pulled the spindle nut and washer, the brake caliper and rotor, the 3 torx bolts that hold the rotor (hub?) to the knuckle, and beat on it for I don't know how long, and I can't get the thing apart on the driver side. I tried penetrating lube and a 4# hammer, and I was using a chisel to wedge into the slots that I'm guessing are there between the rotor assembly and steering knuckle for just this reason, and I've managed to move it MAYBE a 1/8 inch. Beats me. The passenger side came off fine, the driver side is being a little b*tch. I don't know if there's something I'm missing here but I did the driver side the same way and no problems.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:51 AM
It needs to come straight out of the spindle. There is a lip that goes inside the spindle thats probably rusted right to the spindle on your car. Hitting it sideways won't really accomplish anything but releasing frustration.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:02 AM
^ Yeah. If you got the passenger side apart the drivers side it just the same thing. Try a torch yet?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:40 PM
I should have read this but I just brought my car into the dealership with the same problem. My car is still under warranty, will they cover these problems?

As this sounds pretty common with a few of you guys...I was just wondering how old your cars were, mine is less than 3 and less than 30k miles. Pretty disappointed to already have problems like these

2002 Cavalier LS Coupe
Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:10 PM
67k+ 2k2, the sound only happen when i turn...but maybe they just need to be re greased?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:12 PM
Deputy: It's a sealed unit. You can't grease it.
djpeng: It happens when you make parts cheap. Some parts are good and last a long time, other die a quick death.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:54 PM
could be the sway bar bushings/d clamp. raise car and look at it, if there's any gap in te bushing to the sway bar probably replace it. mount bearing will contribute to that sound slightly as well, but the sway bar sound is loud

14.82 @ 97 mph
Saturday, January 14, 2006 3:21 PM
Is it "HAHA" funny or "HEHE" funny?

J/k
I'll ask my shop buds, and see what we can come up with.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:15 PM
Deputy D Styl3 wrote:Ok, when i turn my wheel slightly to the left i get a sound that sounds like somethings rubbing something(metal sounding), and if i turn past that point, it stops and the same thing happens when i straighten the wheel...any ideas on what it might be?

Did you check your brakes?It could be the metal tab on your brake pads touching the rotor.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:43 PM
^^^^ Thats what it was on my car. A very annoying sound!

New sig in the works
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:56 PM
The brake clip should be more of a screaching sound. Bearing are more of a grinding sound.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search