ABS problem...weirdest thing ive seen... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS problem...weirdest thing ive seen...
Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:20 PM
Ok when i 1st got my car...the abs worked fine...until i turned on my hazard lights..
Now...i dont know what the heck would cause that to happen lol...but then when i turned the hazards off..the abs would be off until i restarted my car...
but anyway, a couple months ago the abs just totally fried...any ideas why...like...i know theres prolly something wrong with the abs but wut would make it turn off when the hazards were on?

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL

Re: ABS problem...weirdest thing ive seen...
Sunday, January 08, 2006 5:24 PM
Nothing. The systems are totally independant. Have you rewired anything in the past (previous owner maybe)?

What do you mean by "totally fried"? ABS light stays on all the time? ABS light is not on, and does not function when a wheel locks up?

Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:46 PM
by totally fried i mean it Never works...like before it was only after the hazards were turned on...but now its just never on...and yes the light is on constantly...and the wheels lock up all the time

LOL
Sunday, January 08, 2006 11:23 PM
I'd chalk that up to coincidence, and head somewhere with a scan tool that can watch your ABS sensors to see which is screwed up.

Sensors either work, or don't. It's not rocket science.

Monday, January 09, 2006 7:02 AM
^ Agreed. Nothing is fried. It's working just the way it is supposed to. It has detected that a sensor (or other part) is not working correctly and defaulted to "traditional" operation.

Autozone can pull the code, usually for free (though I've head stories otherwise, should be free). Or any dealership (::shudder: will pull the code to the tune of about $80.

Find out what is bad and replace it. It's the time of year when sensors go bad (or their wiring/connectors), I'd bet money the code shows "erratic signals from sensor #".

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:17 AM
alright, thanks

LOL
Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:43 PM
I want to jump in here, I've got this problem too, although slightly different.

When I turn my hazards on while I'm driving, the ABS light comes on and I have to stop the car to reset it, otherwise it works fine.
I modified third brake light so that it is an array of LEDs instead of bulbs, could that be it? I'm kind stumped. Otherwise I tapped into the brake wire for a remote start but all the brake triggers work correctly on the remote start.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:45 PM
I want to jump in here, I've got this problem too, although slightly different.

When I turn my hazards on while I'm driving, the ABS light comes on and I have to stop the car to reset it, otherwise it works fine.
I modified third brake light so that it is an array of LEDs instead of bulbs, could that be it? I'm kind stumped. Otherwise I tapped into the brake wire for a remote start but all the brake triggers work correctly on the remote start.

Is the third brake light even incorporated with the ABS and hazard circuits?

Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:44 AM
i have the exact same problem. i thought there was a problem with my car also. but. when my gf got her 99 cavi i did it to hers just to test and it did the same thing. it seems to me like its a pre 99 thing. i dont understand it at all because the two systems are nowhere NEAR tied together (me and somebody else have checked wiring diagrams over and over again) and there shouldnt be anything related. but. alas. it still does it. even after i added new wiring harnesses to the mix. i still get the same thing.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:22 AM
the two eletrical circuits have to have something in common with each other like either a power wire connector or ground wire.
figure out why the flashers are backfeeding it te abs first cause if you fix the abs first and hazard lights are still screwing it up then what problem have you solved.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:46 AM
I am also having this same exact problem, my ABS light would stay on after the hazards, and now the ABS will turn on nearly everytime I start the car. You can hear the ABS computer computer clicking under the steering column when the light comes on.

Glad to see this isn't just my car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search