Is this a smart idea? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is this a smart idea?
Friday, January 06, 2006 4:31 PM
i'm planning on getting some lower control arms from another cav(just stock ones) and replacing the baljoints and installing the poly control arm bushings along with them and then powdercoating the whole arm (obviously powdercoat before installing the balljoint/bushings) alot like what some other member here has recently done.

Just a quick question, i know these things will start to squeek no matter how well i grease them when i install them, the squeek from the poly sway bar bushings came about only a month after installing them, would it be a good idea to drill and tap threads to install a greas fitting into the housing of the bushings? would it drastically effect the strength of the arm? i do realize if there isnt a channel in the bushing already, that i might have to cut one depending on the fit of the bushing so that they would accept grease in more than one area.

Also, would it be worth the effort to install poly ball-joint boots and tie rod end boots?

thanks for any input

Re: Is this a smart idea?
Friday, January 06, 2006 8:05 PM
The boots do nothing but protect the joint from dust crap etc.

Putting the grease fitting on probably wouldn't hurt the arm that much. But I doubt it would accomplish what you want. Using something teflon based makes a big difference too.

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:32 PM
yeah, thats what i was thinking. i know poly bushings dont rot or dry out like oem rubber. not sure if i want to go through the effort or not still just to see if an occasional lube would keep squeeks in check more than anything. if anything, i can try it, and if i dont like it, throw on the other set of control arms i will have after this project.
Monday, January 09, 2006 2:55 PM
If you use graphite impregnated bushings they won't squeak. Or even use dry lubricant on them. I've roughed up the outside of bushings and lathered them with graphite, and its always worked.

Monday, January 09, 2006 9:51 PM
I just wrap them in teflon tape, never squeaks. Kinda expensive though..... (compared to putting up with the squeak).

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 12:21 PM
wouldn't it be difficult to wrap the bushing in teflon tape prior to installation since the bushing must be pressed in?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:01 PM
Not everything worth doing is easy.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:58 AM
very true
Thursday, January 26, 2006 6:08 AM
the solution I found on a jeep forum is........*drumroll* Anti-seize.

A guy has been using anti-sieze for lube on all his poly bushings, and has never had any sqeaking.

Who would have thought that jeep drivers would be worried about squeaks?

-Chris

Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:37 AM
OK seriously...Am I the only person to NEVER get bushing squeek by using the grease included with the kit? The only noises I hear are from the stock CVs yelling at me that they hate being hopped all over the place when I launch on street tires. Nothing else.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search