ATTN: BASE MODEL 2.2 OWNERS WITH AFTRMKT SWAY BRS - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ATTN: BASE MODEL 2.2 OWNERS WITH AFTRMKT SWAY BRS
Friday, January 06, 2006 5:44 AM
I searched, but couldnt find the topic that I originally saw (my computer is dialup, plus 10 years old.. ) but had a couple of other questions in addition, so here goes:

Ive got a 96 ohv base model (no rs), so no factory anti-sway bar. Currently have front and rear tower braces, a subframe brace, gr2 struts, and h&r springs. Wheel and tire upgrade as well. Still have a bit of body roll under hard cornering speeds, would like to eliminate or lessen it. I don't really compete compete, just, um, my weekend warrior. Since I dont have the facotry hardware, could someone with the same model car as I have who has added front and rear bars tell me what kind of set up they are running, so I can emulate? I have heard I need hardware off of a cavi with a swarbar combo...or can I just weld them onto the frame?

Also, was wondering about brand/size...Ive also read some combos with a front/rear/or both combo have understeer or oversteer issues. Can someone school me on what is a good size/set-up for a more neutral stance? Would rather keep the car as is than risk putting a bar too big/small and lessening the abilites as is, and shelling 500.00 for parts and labor, lol.

Specifically looking for the opinion of the 2 auto-xers on the site...one of em has a balck sedan with a number on the side, and a pic of him wearing a helmet? think he also have a base model car, and I know he is definitely a smart cookie for suspension. or event, another suspension guru. Or hell, anyone else. Thanks in advance, sorry for using all of the bandwith, lol.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Re: ATTN: BASE MODEL 2.2 OWNERS WITH AFTRMKT SWAY
Friday, January 06, 2006 10:33 AM
Everything most likely can be found in the FAQ.
Ok, that's out of the way.

To keep things simple,
Eibach makes a front/rear combo kit. 1 in./ 7/8" rear.
Comes with all hardware. (well the rears do anyway so the fronts should)
Same with Addco, but you just have to get the bars seperate. And Addco ofers a 1 in. rear as well.

Oversteer, smaller/no front bar, larger rear bar
Understeer, naturally factory, or larger front smaller or no rear bar.

All you gotta decide is what effect your driving style will have for each situation.
Forget the bars, just think of how you like to drive, and take it form there.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, January 06, 2006 10:50 AM
...thanks, mastin. any other input, auto-xers?

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Friday, January 06, 2006 12:46 PM
Most of this is in the FAQ... Should read it sometime.

Lets start with where you've gone wrong. The GR2s will not control the H&R springs. They'll bounce. You're loosing handling ability there. If you want to keep the H&Rs you need to get Koni's or Tokico D-Specs (NOT HPs). KYB doesn't make anything that can control H&R springs.

To install any front sway bar you will need the factory "D" brackets, bushings, and bolts (yard or dealer will have them). Any rear kit will come with everything you need.

The front sway bar should be just a bit larger than the rear to achieve a neutral setup (+2mm or so). The Factory 24mm bar with RKsport 22mm rear is probably one of the most neutral setups possible.

The stronger the bars (larger) the more they will keep the car level. Just make sure the front and rear sizes basically match.

I don't autox, but I would consider myself knowledgeable. Close enough?

Friday, January 06, 2006 2:33 PM
C.T.S wrote:The GR2s will not control the H&R springs. They'll bounce. You're loosing handling ability there. If you want to keep the H&Rs you need to get Koni's or Tokico D-Specs (NOT HPs). KYB doesn't make anything that can control H&R springs.
Quote:

Some adjustable shocks that are able to support those springs would help your handling ALOT.

Personaly for the sway bar (which should be replaced after getting proper struts) I'd get a factory one from GM parts, or a junkyard (might find one on ebay or in the classified here) for the front, and a aftermarket rear one. 1 inch or 22 mm is the most common, this would give you alittle understeer.

Stabilizer bars are usually the last item on a suspension, and used to tweak the suspension.

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:05 PM
...thanks for the input. Yeah, I am planning on switching to a set of koni's with goldlines, withing 2 months, when I have all of the cash together. Will look for these products, and see how they work. thanks again!

Friday, January 06, 2006 4:21 PM
i installed the eibach front and rear kit in my base modle cav that had no front bar. the install of the front bar was a P.I.T.A, but the results make it very worth it. you WILL need the factory D-brackets for the front bar along with one bolt for the drivers side, there is one bolt already where it needs to be on the passenger side but no bracket for the sway bar and bushing. the sway bars made the biggest improvement to date, but i do have alot of suspension mods already that compliment and tune the ride tremendously. check my reg.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search