Ballpark a strut/shock/spring install price - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ballpark a strut/shock/spring install price
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:28 PM
I've got the Pro Kit & kyb AGX's on the way. I know nothing about how to swap suspensions and don't have the tools to remove springs. I also don't have skilled enough friends to trust with my car. So, what should I expect when a shop quotes me to install the AGX's and springs? That way I will know if i'm getting taken or not. Thanks a lot.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.

Re: Ballpark a strut/shock/spring install price
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:50 PM
I would say anywhere from $200 to $500 depending on the shop you take it to.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:35 AM
Where are you located at? Hit your regional forums. A lot of knowledgable people here on the JBO have the tools and will help you install them for the mere cost of a case of beer, or take em to the bar to play some pool and drink for a little bit.

Far cheaper than any shop, and the people here KNOW your car better than most GM certified mechanics.

As someone else on the JBO wrote it.

"Seeing as this was the first time I'd ever met him, he got his tools, and we proceeded to take apart my car in his driveway"

that's part of what car tuning is all about

FYI: I did my strut install, having not done any suspension work before in my life, and my car hasn't blown up yet .

!!!Make sure you get some washers from the front struts (can be found at local hardware store) Or call up AGX directly and request them, otherwise you won't be able to secure the strut to the mount.

-Chris

Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:33 PM
suspension work is cake. if you live near me, i can help you

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:37 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]suspension work is cake. if you live near me, i can help you

X2, but we are close to each other If you can just get the car at my house we can do it here. I have the tools!

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:58 PM
speakign of which is there anyone around santa cruz CA who could help me out with mine, i would just prefer to have someone more knoledgable with me. Thanks
Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:00 PM
^^^I'm about 2 hours from Santa Cruz, but I've got all the necessary tools and experience and I don't mind taking a drive to help out a fellow JBO member.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:06 PM
if you take it to a shop, they should in no way shape or form charge you more than one hour 's labor for one side. it takes 20 minutes to do it. hourly rate varies by shop. i know the dealership i work at, charges one hour per side to change a strut. spring can be changed at the same time, so its no added time.

ill add onto what the others said, i have many friends that ive met on JBO that would be at my house within an hour at any time of day or night if i had a problem wiht my car. and i, and they, know more about my J than the techs at the chevy dealer. if you can go that route, DO IT! spring for a 12 pack...(of course use sense when driving) and make a night of it!

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:32 PM
i wouldnt say 20 mins but it doesnt take long at all. especially if you get new strut mounts too. this way you can have it all pre-assemblied and ready to just bolt right up. the hardest part would be taking the struts out which are 5 bolts up front and 4 in the rear

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:00 PM
Yeah, Derek, where you located. I'll be doing my suspension this spring. You need any help swing on by, that is if your local.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:51 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. And man, I wish I was located near some of you guys. I'm in Atlanta. I've noticed a lot of people are from the north. I would much rather pay one of you guys to help me out. Hmm....... so 2 hours of labor would be reasonable from a shop.

-----------

Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:08 PM
If you have basic tools and willing to learn it is quite simple. You can borrow a spring compressor from any autozone for free. I have never done it, but have heard that you can. Or just buy some. They are some around for like $12. There are sites that have install instructions also.

Bradiscool.com

*****From Bradiscool.com site*****

we swapped all four springs in under two hours while goofing off and taking all these pictures...it should even take a beginner under two hours to do this with basic hand tools

NOTE. Always use jack stands. Always use your parking brake. Always choke the wheels so there is no chance of the car moving while working under it.

Tools needed:
10mm Socket
11mm Socket (maybe)
13mm Socket
21mm Socket (helpful)
21mm Open/Box end Wrench
15mm Socket
18mm Socket
15mm Open/Box end Wrench
3" extension for the 10mm socket
Hammer
Spring Compressor
15/16" socket (for the spring compressor this might vary)
Pliers
Jack stands

The best place to start is the back of the car.. 1. because the front brakes might still be hot. 2. because it is the easier of the two ends of the car and will help you get used to taking the struts out and using the spring compressor.

1. Jack one corner of the rear of the car up (if you are doing this by yourself.) If you have two people jack up both sides. You are only going to do one strut at a time but it is easier if both wheels are jacked up.

2. Remove the wheel. duh..

3. Now Remove the 13mm nut that is in the trunk on top of the strut. See circle in Figure #1
Figure #1

4. Now Remove the (2) 10mm bolts that is in the wheel well on under the strut. The extension will come in real handy in this step. See circles in Figure #2
Figure #2

5. If you have the Addco AntiSway bar installed you might have to unbolt the bracket that holds it to the control arm. Sometimes the bracket is too close to the bolt and needs to be removed.
Figure #3

6. Now Loosen and remove the bolt at the bottom of the strut. Using a 18mm socket.
Figure #4

7. Now that the strut is unbolted you will have to step on the "Drum" and the push the bottom of the strut towards the rear of the car and is should now be ready to pull out of the car. Once you get it out it should look like this..
Figure #5

8. Now remove the dust cover that is shown in Figure #6. So it looks like Figure #7. Now you have access to the nut on the stop of the strut.
Figure #6 Figure #7

9. Now the fun begins with the spring compressor. This is not bad just be careful and take your time. Figure #8 shows how to use the spring compressor. NOTE. notice the way the spring sits in the strut stock. NOTE. compress each side of the spring equally. NOTE. Notice the position of the compressor in the Figure. if you put it on opposite of this the threads will be in the way of taking the top nut off. Compress the spring until it is loose in the strut then you will be safe to go on to the next step. Please see the instructions that come with it for safety concerns and since all spring compressors vary slightly. BTW if you do not have a spring compressor you can rent one from you local tool rental place.
Figure #8 (front strut is shown here)

10. Now that you have the spring compressed and lose you can take the top nut off so the strut can be taken apart to remove the spring. Place a 15mm box end wrench on the nut as shown and a pair of pliers on the hex on top. Now loosen the nut. Remove the nut and the brass flat washer and slowly pull the top of the strut off. Once the top is off you can remove the spring. (as seen in figure #10)
Figure #9 Figure #10

11. Now remove the spring compressor off of the spring. NOTE. again undo the spring compressor equally on both sides. Remember safety 1st.

12. Now the bump stop issue. I never trimmed mine with my Eibachs or Intrax. This is your call. The Eibach instructions say trim it 25mm. The bump stops are under the dust boot. Once again this is your call.

13. Now you should not need to compress the rear spring to get it on the strut. Now place it where the old spring was.

14. Once the spring is in place you will have to pull up the strut rod and place the top back on the spring and then reassemble the strut just like you took it apart with the box wrench and pliers. (figure #9)
Figure #11 Figure #12

15. Now reverse steps 8-2. and you are now done with one corner.

16. Now go thru steps 2-15... now you are done with both sides on the rear of the car.

17. Now on to the front of the car.. Both sides need to be Jacked up to make this easier. It can be done by jacking up one side but it is much harder to get the strut out and to place the strut back in. Also you only want to do one strut at a time. finish one then on to the other side.

18. Remove the wheel. duh..

19. Now remove the two 13mm nuts on top of the front strut and the one 13mm bolt. Before and after pics are shown below. Figure #15 Figure #16

20. Now remove the two 21mm nuts on the bottom of the strut. Air tools might come in handy on these nuts NOTE. Your bolts will probably be backwards from what is shown in these pictures. Once the nuts are removed the bolts will need to be pushed out. (I used a hammer to remove these bolts.) Also easier if you do the top on first then the bottom.
Figure #17 Figure #18

21. Now to remove the strut. be careful that you do not cut the brake line. Sometimes it is a little tricky to get out of the car. but take your time so you do not scratch your car. HINT. move the bottom of the strut toward the front of the car between the brake line and axle. this sometimes helps. This is the step where having both sides of the car jacked up helps TONS

22. Now the fun begins with the spring compressor. This is not bad just be careful and take your time. Figure #19 shows how to use the spring compressor. NOTE. notice the way the spring sits in the strut stock. NOTE. compress each side of the spring equally. NOTE. Notice the position of the compressor in the Figure. if you put it on opposite of this the threads will be in the way of taking the top nut off. Compress the spring until it is loose in the strut then you will be safe to go on to the next step. Please see the instructions that come with it for safety concerns and since all spring compressors vary slightly. BTW if you do not have a spring compressor you can rent one from you local tool rental place.
Figure #19

23. Now that you have the spring loose it is time to take apart the front strut. This is where having a 21mm impact wrench is great to have. If you have one just place it on there and bam off comes the nut. If you do not have access to air tools the struts can still be taken apart by hand. You will need a 21mm box wrench and this is kind of weird but either a 10mm socket (shown) 11mm socket or a big pair of vise grips. Shown in the picture is a 10mm socket. The hex on top is a in-between size so get kind of hairy.
Figure #20

24. Now remove the upper strut mount.. be careful there are bearings in this piece. Use two hands and make sure you grab the whole mount in one piece to avoid damage to the bearings. Once this is removed you can remove the spring and take the compressor off of it.

25. Now the bump stop issue. I never trimmed mine with my Eibachs or Intrax. This is your call. The Eibach instructions say trim it 25mm. The bump stops are under the dust boot. Once again this is your call.

26. Now time to compress the new spring. Make sure you place the compressor as shown or the threads will be in the way when you try and put the strut back together. Notice the treads point towards the small coils.
Figure #21

27. Now put the compressed spring onto the strut. NOTE where the spring sets on the bottom there is a rubber piece make sure this piece is piloted in the hole that is shown. and that the spring lines up with the stop that it has.

28. Now it is time to put the strut back together. Pull the strut shaft out all the way and slowing pilot the upper strut assembly back on the strut. Once you get the strut all the way though the upper assembly place the nut on there temporally. Once you get the nut on there you can now pull up on the strut again and take the nut off place the flat washer then the nut. Now tighten the nut with either the impact wrench of the box end wrench method.

29. Now reverse steps 21-19

30. Now go thru steps 18-28... now you are done.

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:38 AM
yea me and a buddy did my whole suspension in like 3 hours, me being a complete newb and him an experienced old guy (god i hope dave doesnt read this lol)

look up VIPER98912 hes at ga tech and he knows alot about the thing gm calls j-body

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:43 AM
ah ah ah be on that straight up.....pimp if you want me you can find me in the A

anyway, the average i've seen shops charge for an install is about 300 bucks. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT.

you say you dont have tools....well, all you need is some wrenches (12 bucks at sears), sockets (a cheap 25 dollar set at sears), a socket or two for the spring compressor and the large nuts on the front struts, and a clamp, razor blade, and hammer. i have a spring compressor at home (40 bucks at sears), but its in miami and not in atlanta with me. you could always rent one (i think) from the auto parts store. an air compressor and air wrench thing would help IMMENSELY, but, its not that important. anyway, 50 bucks for tools that you'll use in the future is MUCH better than paying a shop 300 bucks to install it....and possibly incorrectly.

all i'm lookin for is some coke (with ice), a burger or so for lunch, and possibly someone cool to chill with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:08 PM
Viper, what experience do you have installing suspension parts on J's? And kryptonite is one of my favorite songs!

-----------
Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:09 PM
some

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:19 PM
if you dont mind a drive to dallas, we could help you out and have a mod day so you can meet some other j's.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:26 PM
[quote=IamRascal
!!!Make sure you get some washers from the front struts (can be found at local hardware store) Or call up AGX directly and request them, otherwise you won't be able to secure the strut to the mount.
What size?

Saturday, January 07, 2006 9:17 PM
5/8" washers. Need about 3/8" thick worth of them.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 5:12 PM
The bradiscool site is great. I replaced the rear shocks on a 97 Sunfire. I had no idea what I was getting into. I am no mechanic by far. Piece of cake. The hardest thing was breaking loose some lower bolts. PB Blaster and a ½" Loan-A-Tool torque wrench from Autozone worked fine, although I would not use my own torque wrench as a breaker bar.

I used to use a small town mechanic for some suspension installs. I think he charged somewhere between $35 and $40 each. Considered a strut R&R.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:59 PM
Do you guys think the AGX's on Ebay are legit. they are going for around 350 including shipping.

-----------

Monday, January 09, 2006 1:36 PM
If you were in Toronto, I'd say 2 cases of beer and you'd be all set.

As it stands... I think I've actually got a guy in Atlanta who could help you out. Drop me a note if you need a hook-up once you get them.

Monday, January 09, 2006 1:45 PM
Derek724 wrote:Do you guys think the AGX's on Ebay are legit. they are going for around 350 including shipping.

yes thats average

Monday, January 09, 2006 2:35 PM
Got my AGXs and Konis on eBay. Only ran into one problem guy. Got my money back though, so no probs (other than wasting 3 weeks on that sharade). Deal was too good to be true, should have known. $350 sounds about right though. Watch for anyone selling them for less than like $300, that would be a "too good to be true" deal.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:54 PM
Quote:

If you were in Toronto, I'd say 2 cases of beer and you'd be all set.

i might take you up on that in the spring

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search