ABS light on after auxilary lights on for 5+ hrs!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS light on after auxilary lights on for 5+ hrs!!
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:36 PM
Wassup, This mornin, parked my car at like 9:30 am. Came back to it at like 4:30 pm.... Auxilary lights still on!!!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! Got in the car expecting the worst, no start, but the car started right up. YAY! 2 Things though, the alternator is making a sound now, not a high pitch squeling or anything like that (signs of AD, alternator death), but Im guessing its charging the battery? Hopefully?, Well on to the topic, I was driving for about an hour running errands when I notice the ABS light is on. When I turn the car off, and back on, its out until I pull away. I didnt notice any difference in the brake, but, yes I did check other posts and some people said that u wont feel anything until a wheel locks up :\ Well I wasnt doing speeds like that, or braking like that for that matter. Just cruisin around 25mph.

My question is 2 fold.
1) Would the ABS light have somethin to do with the battery being drained like that?
2) Is that normal for the alternator to make that sound, assuming its charging the battery?
( like a really low whine when I accelerate, and a like 'excessive turning sound' when idle)

Re: ABS light on after auxilary lights on for 5+ h
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:12 PM
Sounds like 2 problems that occurred at the same time

1- you have a bad ABS sensor somewhere. If the light come on during the gauge check,a nd then goes out until you move, one (or more) of the sensors is getting a bad reading. You'll need to pull the code to find out which one.

2- its sounds to me like your alternator is on its way out. Probably a bad bearing. (although your registry isn't filled out, I did notice you have a 95). With a car that old, its not uncommon for an alternator to "all of a sudden" die. Have it tested at your local Advance or Autozone for free.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:45 PM
^ Agreed on both.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:11 AM
Thanks Guys. I forgot to mention that when I posted the above, even my turn signal blinked crazy slow, like the battery was on its last leg. The Good news is I've been driving around for 2 days now and yesterday, the ABS light went out and hasnt come back on since. This mornin was the first time I drove to work on the highway since the incident. Doin average of 70 mph, when I got to the local roads again, about 25mph, the whine is vertually non - existant!

Guess I got lucky!!!

Good to know theres a place we J-Heads can go though when something happens, and actually get good advice and opinions.

THANKS AGAIN J-BODY.ORG
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search