strut mounts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
strut mounts
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:14 PM
rarely people talk about these and i wanted to know if any suspension junky could give me some help... alright my strut mounts are basically falling apart beneath my eyes breaking and everything i have all the suspension correctly put on the coilovers and everything are good struts and everything are alright but any big bump i hit that normal cars just roll over... my car give a loud BANG and sounds like the strut is bottoming out and this is new... the car keeps going down so i know its not the strut bottoming out and my mount and bearing are broke.... they separated and my moto is always if its not broke don't fix it and if it is upgrade it... so my question is strut mounts upgraded.... are there any are they worth it... and are there any other oem models that can put out "better" ones... thanks a lot guys later

Re: strut mounts
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:33 PM
"rarely people talk about these" - Where have you been? It's asked at least weekly around here. They're crap on our cars and break all the time. I haven't seen a J-body go 100Kmi yet without one going bad.

If you want to upgrade them, e-mail McMoney. He makes spherical bearing (pillow-ball) camber plates that are top notch.

BTW: Motto is spelled with two "t"s.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:48 PM
My front strut mounts are at 157k factory... still in good shape, course I'm not running any type of drop... damn rain not allowing me to go and change some springs...

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:48 PM
You said front....... What about the rear?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:01 PM
I'll know more when it stops raining long enough to pull em.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:16 AM
do you know where i can get just the pillow mount itself not the whole strut assembly and ab\pproximate price... thanks later
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:52 AM
C.T.S wrote:If you want to upgrade them, e-mail McMoney. He makes spherical bearing (pillow-ball) camber plates that are top notch.

That's just a mount "bearing plate". Doesn't even include the mount bearings. It's around $200 for a set. E-Mail McMoney for details.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:44 PM
C.T.S wrote:"rarely people talk about these" - Where have you been? It's asked at least weekly around here. They're crap on our cars and break all the time. I haven't seen a J-body go 100Kmi yet without one going bad.

If you want to upgrade them, e-mail McMoney. He makes spherical bearing (pillow-ball) camber plates that are top notch.

BTW: Motto is spelled with two "t"s.

Is that the plate or the mount? When i get back from Iraq, i wanna drop the car, but and as a precaution, replace the bearing plates (which is what i thought the whole assembly was called on top of the strut), but looking at Napa's website, the whole bearing plate assembly is over $90!.. The bearings though are uber cheap, atleast a quarter of what the whole thing is. Anyone know where i could get a set pretty decently priced?

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:51 PM
The "strut mount" we refer to here is actually several different parts together:

On top of the spring is the upper spring insulator. Then comes the spring seat. Then the mount bearing (ball bearing assembly, top and bottom are metal with a plastic clip that holds it together). The bearing sits in the seat and up against the bottom of the bearing plate (bearing meaning "holds weight" this time). The bearing plate has two studs and one bolt hole in the top (where it attaches to the strut tower).

Here's a picture of it mostly separated.

On the left you can see the top-hat and shield (they're stuck together on our cars, although you can pry them apart)
Then the spring insulator
Then the spring seat. That white part is the bearing clip (the mount bearing is under that).
Then the bearing plate.

The bearing plate is what you need to replace if it makes a clunking sort of noise.
The mount bearing is what you need to replace if it makes a grinding/squeaking noise.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:17 AM
Do u have pics of rear strut mounts???
Saturday, January 28, 2006 7:09 AM
Ok, i will never drop my car but id still like to know some info. If anything, mines lifted. I have my reasons,

But what is the pro and cons between the stock mounts and the spherical bearing (pillow-ball) camber plates?

I assmue in that statement there are just plates, I dont need a camber adjustment, so could i still use them if they are more reliable?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search