Cross Drilled Junk? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cross Drilled Junk?
Friday, December 16, 2005 9:40 AM
Just wondering if brand of brake rotor really matters. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I found these...........Junk?

Ebay Auction

Re: Cross Drilled Junk?
Friday, December 16, 2005 9:43 AM
Would you trust you life to some $60 rotors? I wouldn't, you get what you pay for. When it comes to brakes or suspension, don't cheap out on it.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Friday, December 16, 2005 9:46 AM
i think i have those types, installed it and nothing yet occurred, works just fine. *knock on wood. it made me realize that our j-bodies' 2 bolts holding the rotors in on the calipers are hex-shaped not actual bolts. kinda made me pissed. but goin back to the subject, i glance at my rotors time to time to make sure its still in one piece and not scraped or anything, so far its fine. considering that its a no name brand like baer or wilwood or brembo its fairly cheap. u could also get performance rotors from pep boys for about the asme price thats listed on ebay, just not sure if pep boys sells either power slotted, cross-drilled, or drilled types. hope that helps you out. good luck

Friday, December 16, 2005 10:54 AM
Cheap: Yes. Crap: Not Exactly.

These are standard rotors with holes in them. Do not think for one second they work better than stock rotors. They are not to be used in any highly stressful purpose (autox, drag, any other racing). If you drive normal on them, they'll work just fine.

If you abuse them in any way they may crack in half. Which is bad.

They do look nice however, and they're zinc coated, so they'll last a good long time, and look good the whole time.

Just remember that they are NOT high performance, and not to be used for any such application. They're for looks only, so to say.

Friday, December 16, 2005 2:28 PM
Thanks CTS. I mainly just want them for looks, but want them to perform to stock standards. I don't autocross or brake hard. I mean once in a while I will, but nothing out of the ordinary. But I wouldn't want them to crack or bust. That would be dangerous. But if others have them and have not had any problems, then looks like these are ok. Thanks for all the input...........

Friday, December 16, 2005 7:41 PM
Is there good brands yes. I bought some rotors off ebay for $75 cross drilled, and after 1500 miles they have stress cracks in them. Bad ones.

As for get what you pay for I agree and disagree. Rotors at the parts store are like $24 each, yet they work just fine. Also JC Whitney had some crossed drilled ones that I had before, put over 60k on them and 2 set of brake pads before and cracking. For $55 great deal. You have to be careful.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:58 AM
you have to remeber one thing just like brake pads, there is usally i manufacturer who makes the stuff just drops them in different boxes, cost goes up and down with name, packaging ect, find out who actully makes them then you will know for sure

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:17 PM
I guess the brand is: AI ???

That is what they emailed me. I couldn't find jack on that brand of rotor...........

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:45 PM
Ive had my Powerstop cross drilled rotors on my car for over 2 years...

never noticed any braking difference.

but i do know they have held up a long time for being abused with 18" wheels and plenty of hard braking.

no cracks or anything.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:14 PM
my g/f went through her stock brakes in about 10,000 miles , and was close to 18,000 when they got changed

got drilled rotors and pads from karo , and she has over 64,000 now

not 1 problem with them

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:48 PM
As stated above, getting cross drilled rotors does not mean they will inevitably crack. It means they are easier to crack if you abuse them. Plenty of people have them (even the ultra cheap ones) and never have any problems.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search