Can you purchase the wilwood rotor "hat" - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can you purchase the wilwood rotor "hat"
Saturday, December 17, 2005 3:27 PM
Looks like Wilwood is now making a brake upgrade for 3rd gen J's... I'm interested in buying the rotor "hat" seperate of the brake upgrade package for use with other willwood rotors (specifically smaller ones so I can run 15" rims). Does anyone know if you can buy it seperate or have the part number for that J hat? In addition does anyone have info on what bolt circle the rotor hat to rotor uses? Wilwood has a few they use...

wilwood does list a 5x100 hat for the PT cruiser but it's stud AND center holes are bigger then J ones...

Any help is appreciated and before someone says it, no, I don't have a 3rd gen and no, that isn't an issue for what i'm asking about.

Also please, no newb answers here. If you don't know me or my car then YOUR the newb I know what I'm doing and custom work is all I can do on my car

Re: Can you purchase the wilwood rotor "hat&q
Saturday, December 17, 2005 3:31 PM
oops n/m I found it! Now I gotta see if it can be bought seperatly lol

Re: Can you purchase the wilwood rotor
Saturday, December 17, 2005 4:12 PM
Protonus wrote:Also please, no newb answers here. If you don't know me or my car then YOUR the newb

I don't know you or your car, but I do know one that looks like it

Saturday, December 17, 2005 4:31 PM
karo had his 12.2 rotors inside of 15" rims

they will fit its just a matter of finding the right wheel

Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:35 PM
Hi Proto Nuts

Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:43 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:Hi Proto Nuts

lol nice

Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:56 PM
James Cahill wrote:
Protonus wrote:Also please, no newb answers here. If you don't know me or my car then YOUR the newb

don't know either of you but i have helped james before and he was supposed to steal parts from frotonuts there! lol

1st 1st gen on air.....
Re: Can you purchase the wilwood rotor "hat&a
Monday, December 19, 2005 8:11 AM
Protonus wrote:oops n/m I found it! Now I gotta see if it can be bought seperatly lol

If you find out, please pass the info along

-Chris

Monday, December 19, 2005 11:35 AM
Note that if the hub bore is big, you can use an adapter similar to those used on aftermarket wheels.

That's how Baer sets theirs up and so long as the adapters are machined to fit exactly, all is well.

Monday, December 19, 2005 2:17 PM
Abby87Z24 (Now bagged) wrote:
James Cahill wrote:

don't know either of you but i have helped james before and he was supposed to steal parts from frotonuts there! lol

Monday, December 19, 2005 2:53 PM
IamRascal wrote:
Protonus wrote:oops n/m I found it! Now I gotta see if it can be bought seperatly lol

If yo find out, please pass the info along

It can be. If you look at the PDF file on wilwoods site and this one explaining the instlal of the kit etc - it lists all the part numbers including the one for the hat. It's in wilwoods price guide and on the price guide for wilwood on precisionbrakeco.com or whatever that site is (search for hte partnumber in google and you'll find it). It's $125 like their other rotor hats.

I'm planning on using that, a custom bracket, and smaller 11.75" (vs. 12.9 like the 3rd gen kit) rotors along with the same calipers as the 3rd gen kit (because they are VERY slimline IE they don't stick out much past the rotor) in order to accomplish fitting these brakes inside 15" wheels, for use with full drag slicks.

i'm still pricing out how much it will cost me etc vs buying the 3rd gen kit and selling the parts I don't need.

Monday, December 19, 2005 3:00 PM
Hmm, interesting idea.

But I wonder if the size on the hat would force a min of 12.xx sze on the rest of the rotor.
Would there be enough material using that hat, and get enough surface for the brake pads?

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Monday, December 19, 2005 3:19 PM
Mastin wrote:Hmm, interesting idea.

But I wonder if the size on the hat would force a min of 12.xx sze on the rest of the rotor.
Would there be enough material using that hat, and get enough surface for the brake pads?

-M

Absolutley. Matter of fact juicedz4 is running a VERY similar setup using a different hat that he had to mod to work. now that the 3rd gen kit is out I can make this "easier" I think. It's using one of their very standard rotor bolt circles - 8x7". I believe that bolt circle goes all the way down to a 10" rotor or so, so yeah, 11.75 is actually one of their most standard sizes. But only using those Billet Dynapro calipers like the 3rd gen's have with a 11.75" disc gives you a small enough setup to clear the average 15" wheel.

Juicedz4 is using Billet Dynalite calipers (which are like $115 cheaper EACH) but they're also like almost 3/4" bigger then the dynapro's - while still having similar piston and brake pad sizes. Because of the extra size, even witht eh same size rotor he can't fit a 15" wheel.

And yes - there is certainly enough brake surface. My stock rotors are 9.5's like all 92 prior J-bodies so even 11.75 is a HUGE upgrade (along with a quad piston caliper!)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search