How to flush the radiator - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to flush the radiator
Sunday, September 18, 2005 4:13 AM
I have the 2.0 OHV bird and I can't see where I would flush the water through as I don't visibly see my radiator cap. I do have that thermo housing thing if I am supposed to flush water through there. Am I supposed to just fill the coolant tank with water while the drain plug is open while the engine is running to cirulate water that way. The manual doesn't tell how to flush and I don't want to pay 60 bucks when I can do it at home. The only reason I ask is because I had a pin hole leak that was just plugged and I don't want the material to stay in my engine and radiator too long. Someone please tell me how to properly flush the coolant system.

Re: How to flush the radiator
Sunday, September 18, 2005 5:15 AM
yes, the thermostat housing is where you flush on those engines. if you want to do it without buying anything, then take the car off and thermostat out. Drain whatever coolant is in there. Fill with water. run for 10-15 minutes. Drain. Fill with water. Run 10-15 minutes. Drain. That should be enough, or repeat again if you want. After the fill/drain part, when you think its good enough refill with coolant and water as needed. Dont forget the thermostat, might as well drop a new in if its been awhile.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 5:18 AM
Thanks. I was just unsure if I were to use that or not.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 7:04 AM
Where have you been Scruf???????

Sunday, September 18, 2005 4:49 PM
Where the hell is the drain plug. I looked under the car and the radiator has a big arse bar that is holding the engince crossmember Directly over it. I did see two bolts one with a yellow or orange cap over it.

I did try and fubared the flush. I took the lower hose off let everything flush that way. When I reconnected everything and added coolant I ran the car for like an hour then after I shut it off the lower hose was over pressurized and steam and some water bursted out of it. I am guessing some water was left in the engine and caused this. I did restart my engine and everything started right and there was no blue smoke.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 4:54 PM
Mine was on the passenger side, and facing the rear of the car, at the bottom of course, you turn it and pull out IIRC. I had a 94 with the 2.0 OHC though.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 8:38 PM
james, just been busy with stuff. i'll be around a bit more for awhile though

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search